Laser Cutters are Back Online

This afternoon we were able to get both laser cutters back up and and running.

The badge scanners are not yet operational, so all you have to do is turn the machine on with the green button. Please do remember that laser cutter use does require an authorization class. If you haven’t been previously authorized, do not use the machines. We’ll try to get an authorization class on the calendar in the next couple weeks.

The laser cutter exhaust system works differently than it did at the other building. The blower does not come on until you actually fire the laser on one machine or the other. After the laser is done firing, there is about a 2 1/2 minute delay after which, if the laser hasn’t been fired again, the blower will shut off.

The exhaust system is still a bit experimental. We aren’t 100% sure that it is moving enough air to really get rid of the smoke and fumes. It is a good idea to wait 5-10 seconds after the job is finished before opening the door. I’d like to hear any feedback regarding your experiences.

Remember that only Mario has the auto-focus feature. On Luigi, I’ve been using the 7mm block as a spacer between the tip and the work piece for focus.

As always, if you experience any troubles, send email to fablab@makeict.org or post here on the forum.

14 Likes

Great job!! Thanks for your hard work!

1 Like

You are appreciated! Thanks for all that you do!

1 Like

Fantastic!!!

1 Like

Woo Hoo!

1 Like

So will the laser calendar be implemented again?

1 Like

Outstanding

1 Like

I’d like to take a class to get certified on these lasers! In the meantime, Is there someone that could assist me in getting a piece done this coming week? It’s a speech that I would like engraved on a piece of white oak that is 21"OD(round) and the size of engraving would roughly be 8"x17". Thanks in advance for and help/info.

Regards,

1 Like

Does anyone know when the next laser class will be?

@Smithanthony maybe this was posted after you asked but there’s one listed now.

3 Likes