Laser Cutter frustration

Inkscape makes me so frustrated I could cry! I see others make it look so easy and I just struggle! I’m ready to quit!

Software has a tendency to make you work for it. Ask some questions of the folks who make it look easy… the makerspace is about sharing knowledge… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Someone is helping me!! Hopefully I can convince him to teach an Inkscape for beginners class :slight_smile:

1 Like

There have been multiple people asking for an inkscape class over the last year.

2 Likes

I need that class

1 Like

It’s all about practice and time. I worked for 3 years at a graphics company that required me to use adobe illustrator creating decals for vehicles. Plus I had a couple years experience in high school as well from art class electives. I’m not great at it by no means, but I have a good understanding of how to use the software. I suggest watching tutorial videos and just practice making basic vector objects and shapes in inkscape. Manipulate nodes, work with layers, and memorize the basic shortcuts. Its definitely something that takes a lot of time and patience. Adobe has some great YouTube videos out there that help give you a better understanding, and a lot of those videos can also be translated into inkscape rather easily. Buttons and icon locations will differ between the two softwares, but all the basic operations are the same. I’m just now getting back into it all after 10years. I’ve got some learning to do myself. I’ve only been using inkscape for about 2 weeks now but so far have been able to stumble my way through it from past experience.

1 Like

I found this useful when I first started learning Inkscape: http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/

2 Likes

Matt?

Yes?

Graduated 02?

Dorsey? I totally didnt recognize you in the profile pic.

How the heck have you been?!

I’ll help you! What are you trying to do?

We do totally need an Inkscape class teacher. I’ve done a few classes where I pick a theme - make snowflakes, make boxes - but never 101.

2 Likes

I’ll teach a class on inkscape. I just uploaded all the info for it.

5 Likes

Erik, if you can update, or add to the information and links on our Wiki page here that would be great. Or, if it would be better organized make a separate Wiki page and link it from there. Having these kind of resources on the Wiki is what the Wiki is for. Any thing anyone can add to help inform and inspire our makers is most appreciated.

Let me know if you want any help with the Wiki, or anything else.

Mike B

What would you like me to add to the wiki?

“all the info for it.”

I guess you’ll have to be a little more descriptive than that. Why do I need a wiki page for an inkscape class?

I wrote the class description in this form. Not sure if that’s what you’re talking about?

Maybe I saw upload and thought you had some class material that you put somewhere like on Google Drive or on your own website. I see now that you meant you submitted the information for the form to teach a class.

Aside from that, …

I don’t think I made myself clear. If there is anything that can be added to the Wiki, such as additional resources that you are not going to have time to cover, or if it is something that is part of the class, that anyone would ever want to refer back to, then please feel free to add to our Wiki. If you dont want to, then don’t. I was taking the opportunity to point out to you another way to disseminate useful information. Whether you want to make use of it as part of your class plan, or as a place to park additional information, or don’t see any value in it is entirely your choice.

Any instructor, new or otherwise should make use of whatever resources we provide that are useful to them for the class being offered. Also, anyone else, without teaching a class should also feel free to put useful information on the Wiki.

Thanks mike! That’s a great tip I appreciate it.