Laser Cutter Class for 10th Anniversary Event

Hey fellow “LaserHeads”:

During the 10th anniversary celebration on December 3rd, the organizing committee would like to offer short make-it/take-it type classes to the public from 1-5pm. I think that the laser cutter is a good option for this and I would like to make that offering. I could use some help though.

The ask is to provide a class that lasts 10-15 minutes that allows members of the public to make something using the tools we have at MakeICT. I am thinking something like a MakeICT themed name tag. I’m envisioning a base design that has a MakeICT theme, but allows the participant to customize a bit by adding some text like their name. The design should including some cutting and engraving and they can take the result with them.

We could use some help to pull this off. First, if anyone has some great ideas on a design that would be great. Second, I’ll need to some help to run this. I think we could support maybe 4-5 people at a time on each laser if we have enough people to supervise and instruct at each laser. There would be several sessions scheduled throughout the 1-5pm time frame. The more people we have available, the less any one person has to do.

Let me know if you are willing to help and if you have a design idea.

6 Likes

I should be able to help.

2 Likes

Maybe a To / From Gift Tag with something like “custom made at MakeICT” engraved with the logo? This could be done fairly inexpensively on plywood and then the “to” name can be written in marker when they get home.

3 Likes

Lol reminds me of that time we did MakeICT badges. We lasercut gears out of plexi with MAKEICT on them and then used the board Goblin and let people type their names in and it would cnc their name. Tom McGuire put those shenanigans together I think.

That was a long time ago.

···

On Tue, Nov 15, 2022, 14:32 Laura Patterson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| LauraP MakeICT Member
November 15 |

• | - |

Maybe a To / From Gift Tag with something like “custom made at MakeICT” engraved with the logo? This could be done fairly inexpensively on plywood and then the “to” name can be written in marker when they get home.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

Christmas ornament

1 Like

Some good ideas. If someone wants to come up with a possible design and share it here, go for it.

1 Like

I think I still have mine somewhere. Took going back a bit to find a picture: (Link to FB where found: Redirecting... Yay 10 year old facebook posts!)

Name was engraved opposite the MAKEIcT

I think that this would be a fun callback, It can easily be done on a jig in the black or blue mill, or get the board goblin working again. (Actually have something that might get it going fairly quickly.)

Here’s a quick SVG if someone wants to play with it, it’s probably a bit smaller. (But not too much)
10-years-apart (Green Laser engraved, black cutout, blue on mill (red are just guides))

@TomM May have the original files, or they may be somewhere?

3 Likes

Hey Guys. Sorry for the delay. Just had chance to dig through old files. Here are the files I had for this project. Really cool that your digging it up. (Hope the zip file opens ok)
MakeICT-Trinket-20221117T143631Z-001.zip (39.6 KB)

6 Likes

I could help!

1 Like

Hi again. I have put together a couple designs for the Saturday classes. One is a Christmas ornament and the second can be used as either a name tag or a gift tag. The idea is that the participant will be able to choose which design they want and then change the text to what they want. And then cut it.

I might tweak the designs a bit yet and might need to dial in the engraving settings a bit, but here is a picture of what I have so far. I’m not all that artistic, so if someone wants to do something different, let me know! And if anyone else is interested in helping to run the classes, let me know that too.

7 Likes

Also, I did not mean to ignore the other ideas regarding the use of the mill . At this point, I don’t think I have enough resources to do both the laser cutter and the mill, and I think the laser cutter is probably the priority. If someone wants to help offer more options, by all means, go for it.

4 Likes