Laser cutter calendar reservations

I still mention the laser cutter calendar in the class, but nobody’s used it in a long time:

I think if we continue to not need it I might quit mentioning it. the lasers can get busy over christmas so december will be a test.

3 Likes

I haven’t used the lasers much in the past couple years but I do like being able to reserve one when I do, in case there’s a poll.

2 Likes

I tried to use the laser calendar but wasn’t able to add a reservation.

1 Like

I think the whole have to request permission to use the calendar and by the time that’s gone thru you forget about the whole thing, if we could give the calendar permission to everyone with laser auth that might make things better.

4 Likes

That actually makes a ton of sense.

Here’s the group you need to be in to add calendar events:
https://groups.google.com/a/makeict.org/g/auth_lasercutter

@IT - could you make me a group admin, and then when I add authorizations I could also invite people to the group? Unless you can think of a better way to streamline it.

5 Likes

I agree that it’s too complicated. I have never gotten permission so can’t use it. Even if I did- it needs to be simple and quick to find and use. A working link on the computers attached to the machines would also be nice so even without prior reservation- if I’m there any start a project, I can add reservation then so others who might want to check before driving over can see that the machine is currently in use.

4 Likes

I had to get my permissions changed to add my name to the calendar before I tried to use it last time. I presume I can still use it now. Can we get everybody who is authorized added to it so it can be used without each person needing to request permission?

1 Like

It should probably be noted that the guidance for putting a reservation on the calendar historically require it to be done 12 hours prior to the time you want to use it.
I don’t remember a billion years ago how Kim explained that lag time, but it made sense then and makes sense now.

···

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 29, 2023, at 6:50 PM, Dave Hanson via MakeICT Forum noreply@talk.makeict.org wrote:

| whateg01 MakeICT Member
November 30 |

• | - |

I had to get my permissions changed to add my name to the calendar before I tried to use it last time. I presume I can still use it now. Can we get everybody who is authorized added to it so it can be used without each person needing to request permission?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

Previous Replies

| Skeet100 MakeICT Member
November 29 |

• | - |

I agree that it’s too complicated. I have never gotten permission so can’t use it. Even if I did- it needs to be simple and quick to find and use. A working link on the computers attached to the machines would also be nice so even without prior reservation- if I’m there any start a project, I can add reservation then so others who might want to check before driving over can see that the machine is currently in use.

| kim Past President
November 29 |

• | - |

That actually makes a ton of sense.

Here’s the group you need to be in to add calendar events:

@IT - could you make me a group admin, and then when I add authorizations I could also invite people to the group? Unless you can think of a better way to streamline it.

| Moon_Goddess MakeICT Member
November 29 |

• | - |

I think the whole have to request permission to use the calendar and by the time that’s gone thru you forget about the whole thing, if we could give the calendar permission to everyone with laser auth that might make things better.

| xrunner MakeICT Member
November 29 |

• | - |

I tried to use the laser calendar but wasn’t able to add a reservation.

| whateg01 MakeICT Member
November 28 |

• | - |

I haven’t used the lasers much in the past couple years but I do like being able to reserve one when I do, in case there’s a poll.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

12 hours is what the website says. 4 hours would probably work.

Problem we’re trying to solve: some poor distant person drives all the way in from Newton wondering… “will I be able to use the laser cutter”? so they throw a reservation on there and drive in, but there’s already somebody using it who checked the calendar before they started and here’s Newton person randomly showing up wanting to kick them off.

I don’t think this has actually been a problem. People are nice.

I think there has been a few incidents of “hey I have it reserved” and the person using it just wants to cut a few more things and goes way into that reservation

ANYWAY the news I have is that I’m now owner of the laser calendar group, so I added the 74 people who were authorized this year to use it. 10 were already on there. I’ll try to remember to add people after class.

I did not add all 327 authorized users, that seemed like a bit much, but if anyone reading this wants on you can request to be added here:

7 Likes

Thanks for your work, Kim.

1 Like

I just sent a request. I don’t use the laser as much as I’d like, but I always check the calendar before coming in, as you say. The calendar doesn’t get used very often but maybe that will change…

3 Likes