Laser Cutter Badge Reader

As a few of you have noticed, we installed a card reader on the Laser Cutter.

Here’s how it works:

1. Flip the switch into the “On” position (up).
  2. Scan your key on the pink part directly to the right of the switch and lights.
  3. The red (top) LED will light to indicate it is ready to scan
  4. The yellow (middle) LED will light to indicate that the card has been read and it is waiting for a response from the server
  5. Once it gets a response the green (bottom) LED will light if your card is successfully authenticated, or the red (top) LED will flash several times if your card is denied.
  6. When you are done using the machine flip the switch to the “Off” position (down) and the machine will turn off.

If you have any problems with the reader email it@makeict.org with a detailed description of your issue. If you have any questions reply to this thread.

2 Likes

PINK part to the right
RED LED
YELLOW LED
GREEN LED

Discrimination against the colorblind, I say.

I updated the original post with positional info for those who suffer from a color perception deficiency. The LEDs arranged like a traffic light, so hopefully that helps. :stuck_out_tongue:

How decent of you. Thanks.

Thanks for working on this, I look forward to this technology getting used on all major machinery at the space.

1 Like

Got a chance to use this the other day. Works great!

Thanks!

I went to show my son the laser cutter today since no one was using it, and the badge reader went from red to yellow then to blinking red. From reading other posts, it appears this is caused by not having my authorization loaded into the system. I have taken the authorization course, although some time ago. Would someone please hook me up by adding my authorization?
Thank you!
-Joe Lobdell

I’ll take a look at it.

1 Like

Earlier today I installed the badge reader on Luigi. It is currently working as expected, but if you have any trouble with it let us know. Either reply to this thread or send an email to it@makeict.org.

It’s pretty simple to use, but here are some instructions. It works a little differently from the one on Mario.

1. Press the green power button.
  2. Scan your key on the black circle.
  3. The yellow (middle) LED will light to indicate that the card has been read and it is waiting for a response from the server
  4. Once it gets a response the green (bottom) LED will light if your card is successfully authenticated, or the red (top) LED will flash several times if your card is denied.
  5. When you are done using the machine press the green power button again and the machine will turn off.

The badge reader will shut off 5 seconds after the machine power is shut off. Steps 1 and 2 are interchangeable if you press the power button less than 5 seconds after scanning your key.

4 Likes