Laser cut Hurdy-Gurdy instrument

I’m currently building an instrument known as the Hurdy-gurdy which is a stringed instrument. It looks like a violin but uses a wheel and crank to vibrate the various strings. So far all the parts have been cut out and some have already been glued together. The next step is gathering all the hardware and 3D printing some parts.

9 Likes

nice! I built a hurdy gurdy from a ugears laser cut kit about a year or so ago. The ugears hurdy gurdy came with two plastic strings but was able to hold a tune long enough to hammer out a song… and you literally had to build a hammer before you could build the rest of the kit.

The quality of your hurdy gurdy definitely looks more robust, but what kind of wood are you using for this build?

I do have the Ugears version as well. This design I’m building now was made for actual hurdy gurdy players as an option for a more economical starter instrument since they run in the thousands. The wood I’m using is Baltic birch ply.

2 Likes

Had to pause on construction to wait for some bearings to arrive, but progress is being made.

3 Likes

What size bearings do you need? I’ve got quite a few around here…

Finished my hurdy gurdy today. Only thing it needs is strings installed and for me to learn how to play it.

5 Likes

That is really beautiful

Nice work it is beautiful!!!

Wow, thats too cool

Outstanding. I’d love to see that on display sometimes if possible.

1 Like

Cool

Thanks everyone. As soon as I get strings on it and make it sound alright, I will display it for a few days.

1 Like

The Baltic Birch plywood we’re selling to help fund the move would make great musical instruments, and it’s only $30 a sheet. Just sayin…:grin:

1 Like