Laser Bed Cleaning

It’s supposed to be quite warm tomorrow, so it should be a good opportunity to take the laser beds out and clean them. I’m thinking we’ll take them out to the blacktop and grab the pressure washer from screenprinting. Anyone have time during the day to help with that?

2 Likes

If it’s later in the afternoon, I might be able to be there. About what time?

1 Like

I was about to offer my help if it’s in the morning. :grinning:

@Christian CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER.

1 Like

He’s got a bunch of FAB LAB stuff on his list of stuff to do… If you wash these in the morning, I’ll pick something off his list for the afternoon.

3 Likes

@ladeana I’ve got some ideas on what i want for the 3D printer shelves. Can we get together sometime so you could draw them up in CAD?

1 Like

I could totally do that.

···

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 7:13 AM Dave Miller via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| xrunner MakeICT Member
March 5 |

• | - |

@ladeana I’ve got some ideas on what i want for the 3D printer shelves. Can we get together sometime so you could draw them up in CAD?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

I’m planning to be over there at 2pm. I might need someone to tell me how to use the hose. Is there a lock on the spigot? I know that was talked about in the past, but I don’t actually know if it ever happened.

1 Like

There is no lock on it, but the vacuum breaker is bad and waiting to be replaced. I hear it works fine for the garden folks, but they can’t put a sprayer on it. So you might have to run more hose and use the one on the East side of the building.

1 Like

Isn’t the one on the east side shut off due to broken parts?

Is the vacuum breaker easily replaced? Do we have the parts for it?

1 Like

I’ve been eternally stuck in airports all month, lol… I am so done with work travel and ready to be back in wichita to help with makeict stuff! miss you all!

hello from Minneapolis though!

3 Likes

Running a bit late, I’ll be there around 2:20.

1 Like

As @SteveO mentioned the vacuum breaker on the hose was bed, but it was simple to replace and we already had one on hand (thanks @Jesse) so we were able to get the pressure washer hooked up. I spent a couple hours on and off spraying with degreaser and washing it off. I only got Luigi’s bed done, but it is substantially cleaner now. I didn’t take a ‘before’ picture, but I took a picture of Mario’s bed for comparison.

I’d like to try soaking the bed to loosen things up a bit more, does anyone know a source for a large flat tray that is at least 36" x 52" x 2"?

3 Likes

I’ve been looking for something for marbling but haven’t been able to find anything. I’ve been thinking about making something out of a plastic shower curtain and I have seam sealant. Would probably need some scrap wood to help support the sides.

1 Like

What @Malissa said is the first thing that came to my mind. Make a wood frame and put a layer or two of 6 mil plastic in it, and then staple it around the top edge to hold the plastic. You would just have to be careful about setting the bed down into it so you don’t damage the plastic. You could also put 2 or 3 boards inside before putting the bed in it to keep the metal parts from the plastic.

Yeah, that is certainly worth considering. It would definitely be good for a quick/cheap test to see how well soaking works. In the long run I would prefer something a bit more substantial so it is easy to re-use without damaging it, though. Dog crate pans are pretty close to what I had in mind, but I haven’t found any online that are quite big enough.

1 Like

If the metal shop is swapping the plasma water table for downdraft vent. There is the water pan. 4x4 3ish inch tall.

That would hold the laser beds.

1 Like

Yeah, that would work if it is more than 4 feet wide. Luigi’s bed is about 52", Mario’s is a little under 48".

1 Like

The plan at this time is not to swap the table, but cut vent holes in it and mount the exhaust system below.

2 Likes