LaDeana's Maker Page

Laser Cut Games: Tower of Hanoi

I have been working on some games for groups of students that come to visit the makerspace and have been remiss in documenting the progress.

I am making them because I enjoy designing things and it is a cool way to share making… which is kind of the whole point of MakeICT. (We are an educational 501C3 after all)

This first on is the Tower of Hanoi game:
Here is the design. Pics later of a completed game.

10 Likes

Another game you might recognize from Cracker Barrel:

8 Likes

I love your games! Have you ever designed any of those little slide puzzles, a bit like a 2D Rubik’s Cube? Maybe you have and I just forgot. Would be neat to have one with the MakeICT logo on it.

4 Likes

Like this?

I used to play with these as a kid. That seems pretty doable as a laser-cut game. (or 3d print)

4 Likes

Yes! I had tons of them, and they double as a fidget device.

2 Likes

I’ve kinda gone off the deep end of making things… this is one the things I am currently working on (of about 50 or so things, I kid you not.)

It is a version of those sewing boxes that fold out like toolboxes. I didn’t like the handle design…so I am trying a few ideas out on that… suggestions?

7 Likes

Worked on my throne for the king of Clubs today

6 Likes

And, of course, he has a castle

8 Likes

Here is a completed Tower of Hanoi

4 Likes

Handle design suggestions:
First, keep in mind that clumsy people like me have amazing senses for finding things with lots of little trays with thousands of beads, screws, nuts, shrimp, etc.
So…I recommend a handle design that folds OUT like an outrigger stabilizer. [I can see it in MY head].

I am new to Tinkercad, but am willing to sit with you and mod a sheet metal, or sheet plastic design, for that day when I wander too close to all your fiddly bobbins and beads.

[[I often have no feelings in my legs and feet, so My limited ability to walk is because my PT Team and I… got me walking again after spinal cord injury, paralysis. To make up for this I have too much feelings in my head and mouth. Thus, the “Nerd with Charisma” moniker. As if… ]]

It was really nice to meet you and Steve and James and Doug and … …somebody Lancaster? And i forgot some other deserving volunteer. Forgive plz.

Peace. (… And smooth Making.)

3 Likes

Are you thinking outriggers on the long side or short side? I am considerably clumsy and my current design has the handle folding back as an outrigger on the side where the boxes come out… to keep it from tipping.

···

On Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 10:23 PM Tim Chavez via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| timchavez56 MakeICT Member
April 19 |

• | - |

Handle design suggestions:
First, keep in mind that clumsy people like me have amazing senses for finding things with lots of little trays with thousands of beads, screws, nuts, shrimp, etc.
So…I recommend a handle design that folds OUT like an outrigger stabilizer. [I can see it in MY head].

I am new to Tinkercad, but am willing to sit with you and mod a sheet metal, or sheet plastic design, for that day when I wander too close to all your fiddly bobbins and beads.

[[I often have no feelings in my legs and feet, so My limited ability to walk is because my PT Team and I… got me walking again after spinal cord injury, paralysis. To make up for this I have too much feelings in my head and mouth. Thus, the “Nerd with Charisma” moniker. As if… ]]

It was really nice to meet you and Steve and James and Doug and … …somebody Lancaster? And i forgot some other deserving volunteer. Forgive plz.

Peace. (… And smooth Making.)

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Long side. So they fold down… then out.

1 Like

More tangents: I have a bunch of empty pill bottles hanging around and I am thinking of giving them a home…

5 Likes

This was shared on a 3D printing group the other day, and I immediately thought of this thread.
It’s like those old labyrinth games that tilt in two directions, but with interchangeable mazes. If these ones get old, just design new mazes for it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6475761

4 Likes

Very cool.

2 Likes