Knifemaking Permissions/Help Needed

Going to preface with I haven’t taken the metalshop class yet, only the 3d printing class and the woodshop class. I got a knife from my dad that I want to fix up and give back to him for his wedding at the end of August, but need access to a metal grinder.

My question would be is using the metalshop for knifemaking allowed? The last I knew, using the laser cutter or 3D printers cannot be used on guns because of legal grey area but I’ve not heard anything about the metalshop. If it is allowed would there be someone who can help me out in grinding a better bevel on this knife? I can provide pictures if need-be

I do see there is a metalshop safety class this weekend that I am currently getting signed up for

You will learn more at the safety class, but the rule on guns is based generally on what other makerspaces are doing. Are you just sharpening the knife or more involved shaping with the grind? Is this a first time doing something like this? I only ask as sharp things can cut deep when accidents happen. Have a good understanding of the process you are attempting and you will have good results. I’d help, but I would first have to learn myself. I’ve never made or successfully sharpened a knife with a grinder or belt sander, but there are other members who are experts.

Best of luck!
Jeff

It’s going to be more involved than just sharpening. My dad tried to reshape with his own grinder and messed it up so I’m going to fix the bevel all the way then I’d want to re-etch it (damascus) and sharpen

1 Like

Gun policy here:
http://makeict.org/wiki/Gun_Policy

There is nothing prohibiting knives. Just make safely, as always :slight_smile:

1 Like