Kilns are down

We have noted a faulty electrical connection to the kiln so there will be no firings for awhile until we can get things looked over and possibly replace the conductors.

3 Likes

What is the current status of the kilns? Is there anything I can do to help if they are still down?

1 Like

Kilns are still down

I have not got any feedback form anyone in faculties.

I have arranged for an electrician acquaintance/friend to come look at it on Sunday and give me a price and possibly do the work on Monday.

I am assuming if the cost is low enough there would be no issues with proceeding without a second quote. It would be helpful for me to have an official number preapproved when I negotiate the favor on Sunday.

If there is any movement on doing the electrical work in house please update me.

4 Likes

Where is the electrical problem at? Is it a building issue? Or is it something in the kiln itself

Joe is probably easier to get hold of live than via email. (Older fella, super nice.) He and Wes (Big Swede) and Steve (super tall) are facilities crew. Joe usually hangs around the front of the building on Tuesdays and has been in most days during the roofing. You might see if they are in there tonight.

2 Likes

The flaky power was observed to be effected by wiggling the wire from the transformer to the kiln.

1 Like

I know Joe has been involved in discussions about reconnecting the other kiln. As they have been reluctant to do the wiring for quit a long time I plan to move forward with the electrician on Sunday. If things have changed and we can get up and running on Saturday or otherwise make progress I will cancel my arrangements with the outside electrician.

4 Likes

The electrical service connected to the kiln panel is absent or incorrect, the union is loose.

1 Like

Is it loaded with green ware right now? I know the kilns are down, but one of them says it’s loaded on a sticky note. I was wondering how long it was going to take to fire that load, one of my important pieces are in there and I wanted to fire it at Evans if it was going to take a long time to fix. It’s a bowl with a lion, ram, clouds, and hands and feet on it. Has anyone loaded that piece into the kiln?

2 Likes

We got most of the stuff that was on the shelf at the time to fit in the kiln. So if it was on the shelf on Friday the 28th it is probably in there. If all goes well it should be fixed and started on Monday then cooled and unloaded on Wednesday the 11th.

If it is in the top of the kiln pulling it out would not be a problem but I would have to look.

3 Likes

I can fire this piece free of charge for you in my kiln at my (home) studio. Just let me know. Evans is a great option too.

4 Likes

I have some time on Saturday I can come up and help get one or both going. I haven’t worked on these before so having somebody there who can operate/test would be good. Otherwise, it’s just electrons.

1 Like

I’ve also offered waiting to hear back from RO Saturday sounds good though.

1 Like

@ChrisC @Russ

Since the electrician never showed today I came back up to see what I could do to get the kiln that’s loaded running again. Both kilns should be operational now. I don’t know how to run them but there is power to both (after you close the disconnects). I do think it would be wise to replace the power cable going to the electronic one as the wire is not nice and shiny. There was also something inside the outer insulation that makes me think water was getting into it, supported by the green oxidation on the cable itself. For now it should be ok, though. One nice side effect of having to cut the cable shorter than I would have liked is that it now hangs away from the heat a little bit. I’m headed home now to get ready for my 06:30 flight. Cheers!

9 Likes

Looks great thank you!

1 Like

Looks like you found the short. The oxidation produced by the kiln is corrosive.
Thank you very much.

3 Likes

Thanks bunches for the fixes!

2 Likes

Thanks for fixing the 2 kilns

2 Likes

Technically, the problem was an open, not a short. Typically, one would expect a short to trip a breaker.

Kiln firing has been started. Massive thanks to whateg01 for the fix way to go Dave!

8 Likes