Jack-o-lantern crossbody purses

I haven’t posted a “what are you making” yet but these Jack-O-Lantern crossbody purses were fun so I figured why not share!

When i get a hairbrained idea, i tend to do a bunch. So I ended up with a small pumpkin patch.

10 Likes

Also thanks to the laser cutter, I can now make acrylic templates for my most used sewing patterns which makes cutting go so much faster! :blush:

2 Likes

You could also use an electric rotary cutter on several layer as well, with the less intricate cuts. I have one if you ever want to try it .

I have always wanted to try one of those although I’ve never bought one because I’m super afraid I’d lose a finger! :flushed:

It has a guard. I did cut thought a friends cord and ruined her blade, luckily I didn’t get electrocuted because the handle was plastic. I opted for battery powered.

1 Like

Smart move with the batteries!! Sounds like something I would do :rofl:

1 Like

These are AWESOME!!! What are you making for Christmas cross body bags?? Can’t wait to see. I see snow globes lol

1 Like

Thank you! Snow globes are a great idea!!! Definitely some peppermint candies too.

I do a bunch of other styles but these circle bags are fun!! The first ones I did were some sunflowers a few months ago for a friend. I immediately thought Halloween after that!

6 Likes

Pepermint candies are a good idea also.

1 Like

Is that chrometan leather? Those look fantastic!

···

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 07:15 michelle lefavor via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| michelle MakeICT Member
November 3 |

• | - |

Pepermint candies are a good idea also.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Using the lasercutter for templates like this is a very underrated idea imho.

1 Like

Thank you! Not leather, more like “faux leather”. I actually use marine vinyl for these and most of my handbags.

2 Likes

I don’t have any good pictures of templates except for this first ones I did. These are from a different pattern.

I figured that all my rulers were acrylic so why not cut out pattern pieces!? I engrave the cutting instructions right onto the piece and with it being translucent, I can center the fabric and cut it exactly how I want it every time.

I tried 3d printing one first, but it was a little too flexible for a rotary cutter.

4 Likes

I approve wholeheartedly!

I’ve bought templates and they are typically laser cut acrylic. I’ve found some beat templates but before I get around to it my brain is off to something else.

Putting instructions on it is brilliant too, that way you know how many you need of each peice

2 Likes

If you buy templates they’re usually plain clear acrylic and SO DAMN EXPENSIVE.
With a laser, they’re easy enough to make. The hardest part is lightburn. If it’s an odd shape the trace function works pretty well, but you have to go through and clean up the extra bits and whatnot. I found this out the hard way when I cut a VERY JAGGED curve.

If you ever need pointers, I’m happy to help. I enjoy playing around with the software.

I’ve found color acrylic at Menards for around $30 for a 24x36 sheet. I know there are places in town that are probably cheaper, but I usually don’t need a huge piece

1 Like

I should add that it’s the lasers that I’m not very good at. But I keep practicing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice work!

2 Likes

Sucking at something is the first step at being kinda good at it.

···

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022, 08:35 Laura Patterson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| LauraP MakeICT Member
November 3 |

• | - |

I should add that it’s the lasers that I’m not very good at. But I keep practicing! :slight_smile:

In Reply To

| LauraP MakeICT Member
November 3 |

• | - |

If you buy templates they’re usually plain clear acrylic and SO DAMN EXPENSIVE. With a laser, they’re easy enough to make. The hardest part is lightburn. If it’s an odd shape the trace function works pretty well, but you have to go through and clean up the extra bits and whatnot. I found this ou…

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

5 Likes

Ain’t that the truth! :rofl:

That’s why I got my Cricut Maker so I had something at home that I could practice on and when I use the Laser it would be easier. That and volunteering when the space needs a bunch of things cut for a project.

2 Likes