Introduction to Wood Turning and Beginning Classes

I am a relatively new member and my Maker Superpower is Turning Wood into useful or Decorative things. I have worked at this for 15 years, learning, practicing and teaching others. I have been a member of the American Association of Woodturners for 15 yearous, and the South Kansas Woodturners. I am currently President of the SKW and have served 6 years as program coordinator. I also volunteer at Chester Lewis Academy after school Wood Turning Spin Master’s Spin Masters Club.

I have listed the introductory classes , below after sharing the list with Doug, with descriptions. If you have no turning experience, start at the beginning. If you want to pick up something down the line, PM me and we can figure out where your experience puts you.

Many of the introductory classes are No Cost. Where noted a Basic Woodturning Book is listed at cost. Reading this will help a new turner.

Wood for turning will be supplied by students details in the descriptions. I will make some practice wood available for those with no access at No Charge.

My reason for posting this morning is to receive feedback about days and times to schedule classes. What works for you. I need to find good times to set up classes around my work schedule and meet your schedules.

.Class Number Name and Description Pre-Req $

WT-101 Introduction To Wood Turning Woodshop Safety NC
Lathe Parts, Gouge Types and uses, Basic
Mounting of Work Piece Methods.
Safety, PPE

WT-102 Introduction to Spindle Turning. Using the WT-101 $20
Spindle Roughing Gouge, and the Spindle
Gouge. Turning Practice including marking
centers, mounting a spindle blank,
roughing square stock to round. Then
marking out the blank. Begin turning beads
and coves. Cost covers the Instructor Provided Handbook.

Class members are encouraged to bring a 
	Short piece (12 inches or longer) of 2x4

101 and 102 are usually taught together.

WT-103 Open Practice, with help on site, on topics WT-101-2 NC
of 101/102

WT-104 Introduction to the Skew Chisel, including WT-101-2 NC
basic cuts and practice.

Wood for 102 – 104 is student provided 12 – 18 inch
Pieces of 2x4.

WT-105 Introduction to Face Grain Turning. WT 101-2 $20
Including differences from Spindle Grain
Turning, similarities. Review of Initial
mounting methods, including Faceplates,
screw chuck, Between Centers. Turning
the outside of a bowl or platter.
Preparing the project for reversing to
Turn the inside of the bowl or platter.

An appropriate sized Blank can be provided
By the student, subject to Instructor Approval, or 		
one can be purchased from the instructor for a 
nominal fee.

WT-106 Face Grain Turning the Inside of your WT 105 NC
platter or bowl. Basic mounting methods,
making the turn at the bottom, Reversing the
work to finish turning the bottom. Finish
Cuts, Sanding. Information on Basic
Finishing Choices

WT-107 Introduction to Sharpening. Classroom, WT 101-2 NC
And workshop practice.

WT-108 Shapes, objects and project ideas. WT 101-7 $

3 Likes

Interested in bowl and end grain classes

1 Like

Welcome looking forward to meeting you. Thanks for sharing your love and knowledge of your craft.

Thanks for creating this class!!! I cant wait to learn!

My reason for posting this morning is to receive feedback about days and times to schedule classes. What works for you. I need to find good times to set up classes around my work schedule and meet your schedules.

1 Like

I’m interested in the intro class and may follow up with the others, my availability includes weekdays after 6 and on weekends.

1 Like

I am definitely interested in starting with 101 and 102, then progressing onward. I have pretty open availability, so whenever is best for anyone else is good for me.

1 Like

I’m interested in bowl turning.

1 Like

I’m also interested. My availability is weekends and weekdays after 4:30.

1 Like

Very interested in this class as well. Just joined today and soon to be retired. I too would prefer afternoons after 5 and weekends. This is the primary reason MakeICT appealed to me. I’d like to learn turning. Thanks

3 Likes

My name is Gary Stewart. I recently retired. I want to learn wood turning from the basics up. I missed this last class and want to start with the next one when it’s available.
Any day or evening is fine with me. Thank you for offering this instruction.

2 Likes

Gary,

I have put you on my list for classes. As we move out of the heat of summer, clases should become more freqiuemt;

You may wish to look at the Facebook Group South Kansas Woodturners.

John Nicholas, SKW President and MakeICT Woodturning Instructor.

2 Likes