I'm building a Float

I’m helping Storytime Village building a float for the Kansas Literacy Festival September 4. We will be using insulation panels and foam coat to build the sides and cardboard to make the books for the arch and additional books for students to carry. Anyone interested in learning this method? Let me know.

3 Likes

I have reserved classroom 3 to make 80-120 books out of coke/can good flats this weekend. if you have any or access to any please let me know.

1 Like

Try United Methodist Ministry Open Door food pantry. Located on 21st just east of Canal Route. I used to volunteer there and they had gillions of them. White building NE corner of 21st and opportunity drive. Call Tim Stead (volunteer coordinator) at 316-267-4201 for info.

2 Likes

Thanks @Brian I’m waiting for a call back from them. @pwhutchi is this something I could get from the food banks? It looks like they are trying to pair me up with 4 schools so I will need about 400. Aldi said no. I’m going by Dillons by my home later today and Cash Saver’s in Haysville is saving theirs for me. I do my first pick up there Saturday at 3.

Does it matter if they have already had the sides broken down flat or so you want them still assembled? How soon do you need them?

1 Like

I’d prefer not broken but will take whatever I can get without beer logos. I have 40 students next week and not sure how many after that. I also need then for the arch.

I can pick up tomorrow after 1 if there are any available and again on Thursday and Friday.

I’m still looking for about 150 flats or trays

I could bring some scrap sheets from work. Someone would need to run them through the laser to make them tray shaped.

How what are the dimensions of the food trays layed out?

1 Like

I can lay one out flat take a picture and give you the dimensions.

One day I’m going to have enough time to practice drawing in Inkscape over and over so I have these skills.

I picked up 90 flat today just from 2 businesses by my house. I’m not as panicked now.

1 Like

I got all the flats I needed we’ve made 130-140 books. The parts of the float are coming together. If you have time to paint or cut holes in boxes I could use some help. I will be in the space, Room 1, from 8-2 and 5-9 tomorrow, and Friday 8 AM- until I’m done.

1 Like

Not the weather we expected but we will try again.

3 Likes

We participated in Riverfest last night. We won Most Creative. Thanks to all my volunteers and MakeICT for helping with this.

13 Likes

Absolutely amazing! Great job!

1 Like

Super!

1 Like

Love it! Congrats!

1 Like

That is a sweet float great work!

1 Like

Congratulations! :books::rainbow:

1 Like