If it looks like this

Volume/height is the way to go.

Weight is lacking as a practical indicator. Fine dust might weigh 80 lbs or more before the bin is full whereas large cedar shavings might weigh less than 15. Lighter materials may fill the bin completely with even less weight. If a person does want to empty while it’s still weighs little there will be nothing stopping them, and those who want to let the bin actually approach capacity won’t be ignoring a less than practical light/alarm while the save themselves unneeded trips to the dumpster.

1 Like

insomuch as i do like the idea of a mom voice asking you “did you check the sawdust barrel?” I can still see people just not turning it on at all as well. Witnessed that today, turned it on when someone was going to run a board through the table saw. It needs to be emphasized during the woodshop orientation class, "if you dont empty this when its stupid full Sheldon will gripe about it on the forum, we all dont need that " I’ll post a fantastic selfie poster next to the dust collector with “dont let this get full now”.

2 Likes

@sheldonp1968 Plans are in the works to wire the dust collection to turn on automatically so it isn’t an option to leave it off. I believe they’re planning on meeting Monday to discuss it

1 Like

ahhh so lights on collector on that would be ok. just the whole “if it gets this full, it needs emptied” is all thats left. Ill let the experts handle that.

2 Likes

Is meeting tonight still planned? I never noticed anyone saying they planned to be there.

1 Like

Christian did, I plan to be there, Rich asked where and when, and I consider James to br a captive participant as it’ll be in the ERP Lab