ICT Comic Con (3/5-3/6) and Renaissance Fair (4/9-4/10) Volunteer Event Planning

@KatieOfConrad that’s still awesome if we only get to have your help out there for a day! Definitely a bonus if you get to be out there for two of the days! :slight_smile:

The minutes from last Thursday’s meeting have been posted under the following link. (You may have to download the file).
https://wiki.makeict.org/wiki/Classroom_Management#Meeting_Notes

Patrick has been working on a quick portable display and Brad has a pretty cool design going for our Booth name that would be right at home on the back wall of the welcome center.

Sounds like we’re on track for this weekend… I just need to get the parts cut for the wind chimes that will be displayed.

3 Likes

@KatieOfConrad is to thank for the amazing artwork! We’re making a few revisions then we’ll post the design here!

3 Likes

Thanks! Although you did some of the work as well. Hopefully I can get it done, or mostly done, this evening. I’m really looking forward seeing it all put together.

3 Likes

Way to go Katie!

3 Likes

Take good care of her, and she’ll serve us well for many public events to come. Also, looks great in the hallway and matches the brochures.

P.S. Came with extra rails which I labeled and put in the cabinet up front. Can have a banner on both sides.

9 Likes

Thanks Patrick, sign looks great.

2 Likes

I absolutely LOVE how it looks! Going to have to protect it from the wind for outdoor events or it’ll become a kite.

3 Likes

I can make or loan sandbag for that

1 Like

When do you guys want to meet up tomorrow night to load up? Would 7 or 8pm work? Or do we need to meet up?

I know I’ll need to grab the display and the brochures as well as a table, a power strip, and 2 or 3 chairs.

Is there anything else we would need to load up?

Do we need chairs or tables?

There was one table and two chairs there last year… Which reminds me that we’ll probably need to grab table cloths.

What kind of stuff could be sold at the ren faire?

Are we meeting? I would hate to drive across town if we aren’t…

I think dean and I have most of the stuff packed up for tomorrow.

1 Like

Don’t forget the sign! I saw that it was still in the welcome area. @Ethan.Doak also prepped the trebuchet in case you thought it would fit in and be appropriate for the booth.

Thanks for the reminder…

I’ll pick those up after I get out of the office today…

Not sure if I’ll be at century II right at noon today but hopefully I’ll be there before 12:30 (a bit dependent on how things are going at work at this point)

1 Like

They were still setting up tables when we got there… Our ‘elevated’ spot should be ready at 2:30.

We’ll be next to the board game and card game area, as well as the performance groups on the 2nd floor.

1 Like

I don’t think we can sell anything. The booth is just for outreach, right? @rustin.atkeisson

Well…

I’ve treated it as more out of respect for other makers that are paying for their booths. (The event organizer has been really cool about comping our booth last year)

If you would like to sell stuff at the fair, I’d definitely recommend working out a deal with them. The great plains Renaissance fair is considered a fantasy festival, so creative and unique works are welcomed.

But as far as what kind of stuff at the Renaissance fair actually sells, talk to Richard about his experience last fall to see what sold well.

I think Gretchen’s metal creatures would sell pretty well at the fair especially for their uniqueness. From my experience, $100+ items (like my fully animatronic shoulder dragons) are hard to sell for a first time at fair, but $5-30 (like my snap dragons and useless chest) seem to be pretty easy to sell.

2 Likes