I was just curious

I recently saw a video about using terracotta pots for watering gardens. I was just curious if anyone has considered this for the communal garden? I also wonder how much water the method uses.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this method, does it trickle from a small hole in the bottom, use a wick system, or seep through the pores of the pot? The extreme heat and drought we’ve had over the past year creates a different situation from some years. The most important thing we can do is mulch to retain moisture in the soil.

3 Likes

From what the video was talking about the unglazed terracotta are water permeable. So the soil pulls the moisture out of the pot to water the plants. I believe it was for arid environments. Wish I could remember the name of the technique.

1 Like

Was the pot fully buried or half buried? Do you remember what approximate shape they had? The larger terracottas I’ve seen are all meant as planters so they have a large hole at the bottom and would empty immediately. I’m guessing this plan takes a different style.

3 Likes

Quick Google search turned up this term: Ollas How to make DIY Ollas: Low Tech Self-Watering Systems for Plants

3 Likes

Ollas looks right

3 Likes

The video I saw the pots didn’t have a hole in the bottom. They were a modified hourglass shape with the top really short. The bottom was the middle of the bottom portion was wider than the mouth. You buried it to the narrowest part. And it had a small lid.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I really like this idea. I’ve been wanting to try growing carrots in containers and this just might be the perfect way to use something like this.

4 Likes