How to prep for powder coating?

I have a metal stool that needs a leg straightened and then I need to get the paint and rust off so I can powder coat it. I’m authorized to the metal shop but am not experienced. Would any of you experienced folks have recommendations on a good way to do both tasks? I assume it would be best to heat the leg (and brace) to straighten it. For cleaning it I know I could blast it clean but wonder if it would pit? Would electrolysis work well? I don’t think I should powder coat the seat post- can I just wrap it in aluminum foil and leave it on during the bake?

3 Likes

Media blasting with the stuff in the cabinet will leave a texture but I wouldn’t call it pitting. Media blasting is the, IMHO, most efficient way to remove both rust and paint for something like that. You can wrap any parts you don’t want powder on with masking tape.

To add, electrolysis will remove rust but won’t normally help with the paint. Paint removal chemicals usually do nothing for rust.

5 Likes

There should be an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it (it may be sitting in front of ceramics while I was heading squirrels). You might try that or any other process on a hidden part of the stool before hitting the big areas.

Unfortunately the oxy/acetylene torch is still down in the hot shop, or I would suggest heating up the leg to straighten it without fatiguing the metal.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Would the wire wheel do less damage than the blasting media? Did I hear correctly that there’s a second oxy/acetylene torch but that it’s down as well? I assume a butane torch can’t heat the metal enough to help, correct?

2 Likes

The wire wheel may not give the paint as much bite. IMO, media blasting would be a better choice. That said, care should be taken, no matter the method, to avoid putting too much heat into the metal that might cause it to warp. The shape and size of the top will do much to prevent warping, but it’s still wise to do less harm. You can media blast from a slightly greater distance to reduce the material that is removed, of course. I think the media blasting makes it easier to get into spots that a wire wheel can’t, such as inside corners.

I can’t tell how big it is, but the size may dictate that you use a wire wheel if you can’t get it inside a blast cabinet. I have a stand-alone, gravity fed media blaster, but it’s not something I would do inside because the media and dust get everywhere.

4 Likes

@whateg01 Thanks for the insights. It will be tight getting the stool into the media cabinet - I haven’t measured it but just looking I hope it can be maneuvered in. Blasting is the method I’m leaning toward.

2 Likes

Is this a viable option for fixing the torch? The torch head by itself is $46.

1 Like

I would say that makeict is notorious for being painfully cheap on a lot of stuff. Acetylene torches is not a place I would suggest being cheap.

5 Likes