Hole Binding Machine?

Does the Letterpress equipment include anything like a hole binding press machine? I’d prefer to just print new pages and put them in my current planner for 2024 than buy a new one.

I specifically have a double loop 1/2 Inch Diameter, 3:1 Pitch spine but would switch to another double loop design if it’s compatible with something like what Im looking for.

1 Like

There’s no machine to handle that kind of binding, unfortunately. I think there’s a multi-hole drilling machine in Letterpress, but it wouldn’t handle that many holes at once and I’ve never seen it working.

One option I’ve used in the past to make holes that size in blocks is just a drill press - masking off the hole area with tape to prevent tear out, and gradually stepping up drill bits. I’ve never done it for that many holes though.

2 Likes

If we can get it working the EH-3 working there is more spindles for that paper drill that can be added. I don’t think we have them though. We can potentially acquire it. It seems like a reasonable capability to do most types of spiral binding.

@SteveO any idea if the paper drill is working?

-Adam

3 Likes

@gemma or @doug.wilson may have tried the paper drill.

1 Like

I know Gemma has not as we discussed this tool and Gemma said that she has never see it running. I know Steve did a lot of the electrical work in that room.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve never used it. I did use a similar machine many years ago, but had no idea you could add additional spindles. That’s neat!

3 Likes

I enjoy watching people sling unfamiliar jargon. Folks are cool in their element.

1 Like

I’ve seen here on the forum folks are tinkering with that letterpress. You hear anything about that?

Just dean day and I. I’ve been trying to restore it ahead of the first area Auth; but, metal shop’s revamp is upending my plans a bit.

-Adam

1 Like