Hi, Randy here

Hi “Builders”,

I only discovered MakeICT a week or so ago and was given a personal tour of it by a good friend who’s a member. I filled out the application on the spot and it was accepted last night while I was at “Maker Monday”.

I have lots of interests, probably the greatest of them is Amateur Radio. The way I got interested in MakeICT was because there was an opportunity to teach a “Beginning Amateur Radio” course there. We’re going to be doing that course in early May, keep an eye out for official announcements.

Having had a chance to look around, I see SO many things that intrigue me about MakeICT, it’s kind of hard to decide which one I want to learn first. But one of the things I’ll be working on (with several other members) is establishing a ham radio station in the “Electronics Lab” space. We may establish a “MakeICT” amateur radio club so we can get a callsign for the site. But that’s down the road and just one of the many things I’d like to do.

I moved to ICT about 16 months ago along with my wife who is a retired pre-school teacher (22 years teaching “special needs” kids). I am a telecommunications engineer (specializing in satellite communications), who can work from pretty much anywhere that I can get to the internet.

Besides my passion for Amateur Radio, I’m also a Flight Instructor (inactive), avid archer, weather spotter (NWS Certified), proud grandfather, and a bunch of other things.

Say, “Hi” to me when you see me around MakeICT, I’m hard to miss 6’4", big-frame (former football player) with fading red hair. I’d love to chat with you about Ham radio or your passions in Maker Space. I love to teach, and I love to learn, so MakeICT is going to be a great place for me to hang out.

11 Likes

Welcome Randy.

1 Like

Welcome and 73, KD0IJP

1 Like

We need some tires, cement, and poles. We can put them on the roof and have an am antenna as long as the building east to west AND north to south.

···

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023, 11:59 Steve Saner via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| ssaner
February 28 |

• | - |

Welcome and 73, KD0IJP

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Like a G5RV? I’m thinking we have almost enough room to put up a 160m sloper also. Been talking with Joe P about it.

We’ll have to get together all the hams in MakeICT and see what the interest is. There’s even been some talk about putting up a light duty tower right outside the E-Lab where the “Ham Station” table is…

1 Like

Welcome Randy glad you found us

1 Like

If the electronics lead gives you grief about putting up a tower just let me know, I can handle him.

···

On Tue, Feb 28, 2023, 17:13 michelle lefavor via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| michelle MakeICT Member
February 28 |

• | - |

Welcome Randy glad you found us

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

4 Likes

I’ll hold him, and you punch.

1 Like

Hey, I’m just a newbie wanting to play nice and work with everyone. However, I have a buddy, “Guido” who carries lead pipe in his truck - he claims to be a plumber… :wink:

We’re a long way from doing anything yet…

1 Like

Thank you. I know it’s going to be fun…

1 Like

This is not the first time @james.a.seymour sense of humor went over someone’s head leading a respondent to delete their post once they realized he’s talking about himself. Definitely not the last.

2 Likes

Oh, I realized it right away. Just didn’t want anyone to misinterpret what I wrote. :laughing:

2 Likes

Lol I thought it was funny actually!

I had a vision of us all waiting for me with torches and pitchforks but I’m like … in the crowd too… waiting for me to show up.

Mostly it was a humorous way to express my intrest in a radio lab in the electronics room. I’m all for it, I just don’t have time to DO it.

3 Likes

I’m just now getting my feet wet in MakeICT. I do think we out to try to get all the MakeICT Hams together and discuss ideas and options…

2 Likes

Just to add on here, I have listed a 30’ steel light pole in the for sale area (free to anyone who will come get it). It comes with 2’ anchor bolts for a poured concrete base. It could be shortened easy enough and might make a solid radio tower.

3 Likes

Is it “climbable” or strictly tapered cylindrical? Although we would rarely climb any tower, we have to be able to do so to install antennas and do maintenance occasionally without having to rent a “man-lift”.

3 Likes

I did not consider the maintenance of antenna. No, it is a smooth, tapered, round steel pole. Not very climbable.

2 Likes

Welcome ! Hope you have a great adventure with Makeit and find new friendships.

2 Likes