Heyo, I'm John!

I meant to do this last week, but I am just getting over a wicked cold. Hi, I’m John Mulnix, and my wife and I just moved to Wichita. I’ve been interested in joining a maker space for a while, and I’m excited to be a member of the community here!

I’ve been a jeweler since 2005, longer if you count growing up in the shop since I learned from my dad, and I’m excited to be part of the jewelry lab here. I’m interested in teaching some jewelry classes and learning how to use tools in other areas.

In addition to making and fixing jewelry, I’m a volunteer at the Cosmosphere. I create some of their history-focused social media content, and I host/edit their podcast. Unfortunately, due to moving, I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus from podcasting the past few months, but I’ll be back up and running with new episodes soon.

Here’s a link to my portfolio- lots of jewelry pictures and more to see. I’m excited to be here to learn and teach with all of you! Hope to see you around in person!

Tools I have used- fiber laser engraver/cutters (I’ve cut out aluminum, silver, gold, and platinum), machine engravers, laser welders, Leica setting microscope, and other tools in previous jobs.

Things I want to make- I’d love to work with some acrylics and the laser cutter here. I’m also interested in learning how to use the plasma cutter for aluminum. I’m also interested in learning how to use the cabbing machine at some point too.

16 Likes

Welcome John! You will find lots of nice folks to work with here.

Bill
1 Like

Welcome John

1 Like

Now that I can upload more than one picture at a time. Here are a few things I’ve made/fixed/set over the years.

12 Likes

Anytime you make something and want to add it to the display outside the lab let me know.

1 Like

Hi, John! Just spoke to your sister Martha. We’re definitely going to have to meet. Welcome to MakeICT.

That’s awesome, sounds good to me :slight_smile: I’ll be there tomorrow for the laser cutter basics.

1 Like

Nice work

1 Like