Hello, I'm Jerrod!

Hey everybody! I finally bit the bullet and signed up for a membership. I’ve previously taken the Laser Cutter Authorization Class and have visited MakeICT as a guest of my wonderful mother-in-law Mary Palmer. I’ve attached one of the projects I’ve completed so far (it will only let me post one). I currently work as an Assistant Product Manager for Vornado in Andover and have a background in Marketing, Graphic Design and Communications. I love all things Adobe and am proficient in Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop.

While I get started obtaining my signatures for the Key Application, I did have a question. My understanding is that you now have to have an authorized key to use the laser cutter. Will my previous authorization class cover me for that or will I need to retake the class to obtain one?

Thanks and see you around!

1 Like

Welcome Jerod. Not 100% sure, but I think that will happen if you sign up with the same email.
If it doesn’t, contact It@makeict.org and they should be able to fix it.

I’m sorry, you think what will happen if I sign up with the same email?

I think the laser authorization will be good if you have the same email…

Oh, gotcha! It should be the same email. Is the badge to use the Laser Cutter the same as the membership badge/key? If not, how do I obtain that?

Yes, you use the same badge to activate the laser cutter as you use as the key to the building. Once you get your badge, if the laser cutter authorization doesn’t activate so that you can use it, as @ladeana suggests, you can reach out to IT. If you don’t get anywhere with that, I am the FabLab lead, so let me know and I’ll help you get it set up.

1 Like

Yep. One and the same. Once you get your badge, you just wave it over the box on the laser cutter.

That works, thank you!

Hey @JerrodKetchersid if for some reason your key doesn’t activate the laser, send me an email and I’ll reauthorize you.

1 Like

Thank you @jwithers! I still need to get my key, so we’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Appreciate everybody’s help. Can’t wait to get started “officially!”

1 Like