Heat resistant 3D prints

I am modeling some stuff to 3D print for the inside and outside of my car. Both pieces are structural. I’m thinking PLA isn’t going to cut it because PLA doesn’t do well with heat. I’d like to print these on my own Ender 3 Pro but that’s not a requirement.

From what I’ve read it seems ABS would be the best choice…but printing ABS sounds like a PITA and my dinky little printer ain’t going to be able to handle that.

Then there’s PETG which sounds like it might print easily enough and be a decent second choice? I’ve never printed PETG but am hoping it’s pretty straightforward. Any favorite brands out there?

There’s a bunch of products out there both PLA and PETG that claim to be more heat resistant but I’m not seeing brands I recognize and the reviews seem sketch. Anybody have any experience with any of these?

Finally, it seems whatever filament I choose I should plan to anneal the print. I found some some good references on it, such as this one and this one. Has anybody here annealed a print and have any tips? Do we have maybe a toaster over at the lab where I could try my hand at annealing?

2 Likes

Both PETG and ABS have challenges vs PLA. ABS is best with an enclosure and good air filtration. About 30% of my prints are ABS. I typically have a chamber temp of 45 to 60 depending on the printer and run anywhere between 240 to 270. Some have claimed they can print without the enclosure but they run the risk of delamination of the print and exposure of VOCs in the air. Biggest challenge I have had with PETG is making sure its dry.

I’ve never had to anneal my materials as of yet, mainly as I allow them to fully cool in the chamber before removing them. Some remove the parts immediately which allows them to cool at a faster rate which like in metal can cause parts to become more brittle.

3 Likes

It might be a further pain in the ass but you could try metal plating or lost-material casting the item. I’ve been looking over whats needed to plate a print but haven’t jumped head first yet. Both would probably give you a good weather resistant result but the casting would be the strongest.

3 Likes

Thanks for the ideas. The path of least resistance looks to me like PETG so I bought some Atomic PETG to play with. I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 Likes