Heat Press

I am wondering if we have a heat press for clothing? I am here working on some projects tonight and would love to be able to use one. Please let me know if we do or the lead I should contact.
Thanks Amy

3 Likes

Yeah, I believe there are a couple in screenprinting.

1 Like

Thank you Christian. I’ll take a closer look.

2 Likes

There are and I going to do some botanical printing when I have some time and find some clearance flowers at Dillon’s.

2 Likes

That is awesome! I would love to see them. I found the presses. They just didn’t look like those I used before.
Thanks

2 Likes

Yeah, one of them kinda looks like a frog face to me. :frog:

2 Likes

:joy::frog::joy:

2 Likes

This is good to know.

2 Likes

Would love to see vinyl heat press for tee-shirts expanded we do ours at home as we have the equipment. Our granddaughter comes over quite a bit and sometimes she wants to make tee-shirts it is cool to see her creativity blossom she always surprises me with her ideas. And it is just fun way to make a tee-shirt you can wear in the same day. From design to finish in less than an hour.
We design with software that came with our brother scan and cut called canvas workspace but you could use inkscape and our native method for cutting vinyl on our cutter just need some squares of HTV.
Just remember to mirror image as you cut it from the back!

2 Likes

That is exactly what I have been working on there for the past 2 weeks. A group of us are going away and I’m placing vinyl on shirts, bags, water bottles and sunglasses. I’ve been bringing my Brother Scan n Cut and easy press with me.
I tried in the past to use the vinyl cutter there but after several attempts I gave up. I haven’t tried since we moved so maybe it’s better now.

2 Likes

TL;DR: This device should be moved to Printmaking as it is a laminating machine and a proper fabric heat press should replace it.

I really need to chime in here about the heat press… for clarity and for safety.

The heat press in the Print Shop is NOT appropriate for use for fabrics. It is an antique laminating machine and it is EXTREMELY dangerous to use. The body is all metal and the ENTIRE press comes to the set temperature. This means that if it is set to 350 degrees, then the entire press is 350 degrees, save for the handle.

It is hinged in the middle and only opens several inches. Getting a garment in there is not possible. Attempting to do so is hazardous. I know this because I attempted to use it yesterday and, not to my surprise after seeing the device configuration, burned my hand but good. It takes a good 45 minutes to come to temperature and twice as long to cool off.

DO NOT plan your fabric project around this device! I made a shirt yesterday, was terrified while using it but was committed to finishing it, and unsurprisingly got hurt doing it. I will never touch it again for fabric.

Note the all metal body and maximum work opening:

1 Like

I feel so strongly about this safety issue that I went ahead and purchased a heat press for my projects. I picked a large 15x15 with attachments for doing hats, mugs, tumblers, plates, bowls, etc. It should arrive Feb 2.

With @doug.wilson’s permission, I’m more than happy to leave it in the Printshop for general use.

3 Likes

Sounds like a win. There’s paperwork to make that loan more official. Thanks!

2 Likes

Now that I’ve seen others do Botanical printing, I do not recommend using the press for Screenprint to do this. There are several modifications you have to do to protect the plattens from steam and hot water. Plus, you need a waterproof surface because the process is very wet. So I’m going to hold off on that.