Have You Ever Wanted To Publish Your Own Magazine?

Beginning soon, the Visual Arts Room will be hosting a course in how to be your own press by the power of Xerox!
Starting with the very basics, i will show you how to make your very own culture rag with nothing more than a razor, some writing / coloring utensils, tape, glue, and a little imagination!
Zine culture is an excellent way to dip your toe into the art world, and is accessible to anyone with a thought in their heads and a little bit of spare time.
It can also be done for pennies on the dollar, so for those starving in house - fear not, yo.
All supplies will be provided for the occasion!
I will do some prep over the weekend and post again when the details are worked out.
This can be little more than a hobby, or it can open up some real interesting doors for folks who take a lingering interest. I myself have successfully interviewed artists such as Steve Albini, Tullycraft, and Calvin Johnson of K Records in times past - simply by Googling their info and calling them up to request an interview.
All of the coolest things have small, unimportant, and humble beginnings.
If this is of interest to you, feel free to drop a line below.
Many thanks, and cheers!
K.

3 Likes

I would ABSOLUTELY be down for doing some collage and 'zine work… heck, 'zine is practically my last name! This year I’m trying to do a project of the month in a different medium or technique that I’m typically inclined to do. Might have just found my April.

Publishing: For a time I helped do typesetting and layout for a local paper… back when you cut and pasted by literally cutting and pasting typography and images that you had to print and develop on photo paper.

'Zine Scene: I started going to hardcore and punk shows at CBGB’s in NYC when they had matinees for ages 16 and up and continued for well over a decade. Helped a lot of the upcoming, an now famous, bands over the years do their flyers (this style) and 7" vinyl covers.

Collage: While living in CA, I had the pleasure of connecting with Lou Beach, a famous collage artist. His work is “quirky” to say the least, and really has been a dormant inspiration. I wasn’t in a position at the time to try my hand at art collaging, but this may be a sign. Were still in touch, so I’ll prolly reach out.

Looking forward to it… thanks!

EDIT: The BIG update I’d like to do to my experience is getting a bit wild with color… virtually everything I did above had been in black and white. Technically, didn’t even use greys because it was all halftone screened.

3 Likes

I feel that man.
I’ve just ordered archival quality cotton paper for the covers and cheap newsprint for the insides. with a bit of planning and using the inkjet’s Draft setting / a laser printer, you can probably insert your standard sheet of printer paper for the colorized sections. or you can make all cotton paper editions, but that tends to be expensive, so you would only really want to do it if you’ve found a way to make lots of booklets with very minimal supplies (which i have, but it is a bit more advanced and uses a different size of paper - will probably get to that technique in part 2 of the class!)
The intro will make use of 8 x 11 paper folded in half to begin, just to make things less confusing. Cause formatting gets to be a real pain when you’re turning 4 papers into 32 pages! But, that technique allows for higher quality prints at a fraction of the cost.

2 Likes

I’m interested! I’d likely do some abstract photo collection zine concepts I have been playing with. I’ll need help with construction methods and covers. keep me posted on when.

Mike

4 Likes

Right on! I’ll keep you in the loop.

3 Likes

Maybe a project to do with the new printing press?

2 Likes

Highly probable at some point!

2 Likes

I have this class on my calender. But need to know if i need to register or pay. Or if its full and im too late.

1 Like

Nrmind i found a link on the wiki.
I can bring a check or cash…

You’re welcome to come friend. No money is required but you may make a donation if you please.

1 Like

Thankymam! Muchoblijd

1 Like

Hehehe the “lady” in the title is not a statement of gender, it is simply a literary reference.

2 Likes

I shall hafta look it up. My literary chops are a piebald map of shakespeare and bombeck.

1 Like

Ok, the best summary was on wikipedia and I just learned, if you use the wikipedia app, sharing a link… isnt obvious.
Hint, the meat of the explaino is more than halfway down.

1 Like

Right on. Yeah man, a mondegreen is just a misheard word or phrase.