Halloween Moth Costume

Doing a roaring 20s style costume with an insect twist this year! I plan on going as a “poodle moth” flapper (haha get it?).

I spent some time on cutting out and ironing the wings today!

This is just interfacing but I plan on gluing down some heavy string to imitate the veins and glue a piece of fabric over that.

I havent decided yet how I will attach these wings onto a hing that will allow them to fold and unfold and swong freely. I also havent decided how to make a harness for them to stay attached securely to my back.

I will post more updates in this thread as I make progress!

13 Likes

Some life vests fit petty snugly and might give enough surface area for wing mounting.

2 Likes

And the Walmart in Goddard has life vests on the clearance aisle for like 2 bucks.

4 Likes

I’ve had some experience with making harness for parachutes. That might be a good option with a flapper dress.

1 Like

Try having a look at how steampunk.artists do their wings and harnesses, a lot of examples on youtube.

2 Likes

I found a design exactly that way! I’ll be making a lightweight version of one I found. I dont need anything super heavy duty since my wings will just be hanging, not being held upright like a lot of cosplayers have

1 Like

Thanks for the idea, but could be pretty bulky. I think Ive found a harness design that will work great for me!

1 Like