Hackstone Griddle

The grill grates on my old propane grill are melting away, so I decided to replace them with a griddle surface.

It’s not done yet. Still need to remove the mill scale, close in the back edge, and then season.

7 Likes

Update: begin seasoning!

5 Likes

What material is that griddle surface?! Did you cut/weld it up?!

1 Like

It is 1/4" plate with some 1 x1 angle on the sides for a lip. I cut a 1" strip off the back edge to get it to fit my grill and then welded the strip back in between the angle iron sides. I stripped the mill scale with a vinegar soak and wire brush. I bought the metal as scrap for under $20! The handles are unnecessary but I had the two old tow hooks laying around anyway.

···

On Sat, Nov 18, 2023, 20:42 Brad Cozine via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| bradcozine MakeICT Member
November 19 |

• | - |

What material is that griddle surface?! Did you cut/weld it up?!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

3 Likes

I am totally bookmarking this project and will try to upcycle some dead bbq grills in the spring!

That 1/4" plate is just plain old sheet steel? Seasoned for protection…

3 Likes

Yep. Plain steel. Got it at AMR metal on 21st Street for .65/#

···

On Sat, Nov 18, 2023, 21:03 Brad Cozine via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| bradcozine MakeICT Member
November 19 |

• | - |

I am totally bookmarking this project and will try to upcycle some dead bbq grills in the spring!

That 1/4" plate is just plain old sheet steel? Seasoned for protection…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

4 Likes

I love the notion of upcycling old grills because, let’s face it, they don’t last as long as they should.

Saw this grill frame turned into a movable mitre saw stand the other day…

…but there’s plenty of other ideas…

4 Likes

I get it.

I removed a few resuable things from my last grill. Thermometers, flue, spare burner, large heatproof handles, etc.
The last thing I did was stand back and look at the wheeled frame and ask myself what I could do with it. Which i decided was nothing that day. And so i sent the pieces to our scrap metal recyclers.
. Since then my workbench collapsed. Leg corners broke. Now i wisht I had seen this.

3 Likes

saw this one today :laughing:
grill mail

4 Likes

Just now seeing this, awesome idea! My grill is 2x bigger than I ever need, so I guess turning one side into a griddle is now on my todo list.

3 Likes

Go to AMR on 21st Street. I got 1/4" plate for about $20

3 Likes

Could be interesting. I typically go to The Yard Store for steel or aluminum. Good to know there is an alternate place.

1 Like