Great Plains Renaissance Festival - Sept 25th and 26th

Alrighty y’all, here’s the 2nd event that we’ve been invited out to setup a booth for.

This one is going to be a bit more involved for since it will be outdoors… and knowing renaissance fairs in the past, will continue running whether it’s snowing, hailing, or raining out.

SO BIG THANK YOU TO AARON RIVERS FOR ALREADY STEPPING UP TO TAKE CARE OF THE BOOTH ON THE 25th AND TO ETHAN DOAK AS WELL AS SARAH DENTON FOR VOLUNTEERING TO HELP BOTH DAYS!

I do have a 8x4 pergola we can use for the event that is period correct and gets a lot of attention (rough sawn 6x6 cedar posts put together with square nuts and bolts), but we would have to come up with a shade fly or something else behind it to keep the sun and whether on us. (though it would be cool to see a pair of MakeICT pennants flying off the top of the pergola).

It’s the same deal as the ICT Comic Con where we’d pretty much be out there advertising for MakeICT for 2 days with 2 to 3 people, but I would like to do some outreach with this as well if we can bring out the old soap bubble handling experiment we use to do for Riverfest’s STEAM City.

Again, it would be cool to see some members bring out their projects and garb. If you’re interested, let me know!

here’s a link to the website: https://www.greatplainsrenfest.com/

2 Likes

I have a big canvas piece that I used in front of my wall tent for an awning at rendezvous. I will need to dig it out and check it, I haven’t used it in years. It should make a side or 2 around the pergola.

1 Like

Is there a collection of other experiments/neat things we can renaissance-up? I have this picture in my head of a mad alchemical scientist’s traveling mercantile that smells faintly of sulfur…

1 Like

Ya know… I hear there is a magic group (not mtg card game) that meets up at MakeICT. It would be fun to get them involved in this event if they aren’t already tied up for it.

1 Like

If they are then an escape artist may come in handy. Somewhere I have several sheets of Devil’s Smoke tricks that we could use. Smelly but neat. Maybe some type of solar project that is time period appropriate.

1 Like

Popsicle stick catapult

1 Like

I assume the illusionist group is involved. John, whom I’ve known for 25 years usually has a booth at the Fest.

1 Like

Ya know what happens when you assume.

You risk a percentage chance you are incorrect.

Do they do up close magic? Like make a coin appear?

Steadycraftin showed how to make an injection molding mold with a 3d printer. It would be cool to crank out a bunch and have people make them appear out of thin air and give them away.

My hands aren’t agile enough with the rheumatism, but I can pull a injection mold lever.

Alrighty, all those that are interested, we will meet up at MakeICT at 8pm this Thursday to get ideas hammered out for the event and get ourselves organized.

@Malissa Long I noticed some beautiful dresses on display, can you find out if they can be displayed at these events? If the pillows can come that would be cherry.

@James Lancaster can the SDR go as well? I have a smaller pi setup we can use if need be.

Absolutely! Just be careful with them

I haven’t seen anything added and I’m trying to gauge if I want to jump into this with both feet and reckless abandon or if I should just lurk.

Whats the overall plan? Are we just showing up with some cool stuff or are we going to go with a theme?

I had an idea, since we’re making mini siege weapons, of us having a mini castle building and siege ‘event’ recurring during the day where people use some material we bring to build a mini castle and then it gets attacked by the siege weapons and see how long it lasts. Maybe turn it into a competition with little medals or similar reward.

1 Like

I may need to talk with Christian about possibly merging this topic with the Comic Con one that has the volunteer list on it.