Glue Stick

Looking for some guidance on 3D printing on the Prusa machines. I’ve had some issues with parts warping off the the bed on one end. I have seen some recommendations on line about applying a thin layer with a glue stick which helps with adhesion and also helps PETG separate easier. Is it ok to use a glue stick like this? Or any other advice on eliminating the warping?

Thanks!

1 Like

Are you printing with PETG? I always use glue stick when printing with it at home to make print removal easier. I also use it sometimes for when printing small parts in PLA to help the first layer stick better. We have some glue sticks in the Fab Lab for this purpose.

It never hurts to double check that you’ve selected the correct material when slicing. That’s a pretty common thing to overlook (I still do it sometimes) and can cause warping. If you can share some pictures of the problem parts and/or G-code files we might be able to spot a specific issue. Examining the bottom of the print helps a lot in troubleshooting adhesion issues. It’s also possible that the printer you were using needs to be re-calibrated. Adding glue stick doesn’t help much if there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

2 Likes

Thanks Christian. I’ll take pictures next time it happens and share for guidance. I have had this happen on both PLA and PETG parts even when I have the correct material selected :slight_smile:
I’ll try the glue stick method too. I wanted to make sure this wasn’t a no-no for the machines at MakeICT but it sounds like this isn’t unusual.

1 Like

Another thing, if it seems to happen with multiple prints or materials. Clean the bed, and delay or reduce cooling. That room is cold enough, it’s easy to cool things.

1 Like

I have one of my printers set up at home for petg only. I ran into the corner warping thing too in the beginning.
I have a spring steel bed plate coated with pei. I dont use glue sticks. I do use hairspray but only on difficult prints.

The greatest impact I did to fix problem was I left the bed temp at 80° on all layers
The problem I was having was I would lay one layer it would look great but after the first layer i let bed temp shut off. Well then when the next hot layer cooled off it shrank ever so slightly as it cooled after several layers there was enough force built up to pull up corners. So I fixed this by just leaving in bed temp on. Also I used a brim on thick parts or small parts that might come off

2 Likes

Thanks for the help everyone. It seems to be working better now.

2 Likes