Gardening

Well I think NOW is the time to start seeds for spring veggies right?

I mean if you start from seeds.

Can we make a bed of grandmother carrots? I was told that carrots only bolt every other year. So you should have a bed of carrots you never harvest just collect the seeds every other year. I think I’m putting one in my garden. They teach the wisdom of the garden to the seedlings…

1 Like

And we need ladybugs and spiders.

1 Like

I didn’t know this thread was here! I’ve had a lot of luck with starting seeds in plastic to-go did containers with clear lids, like the ones you get from Great Wall lot buy Walmart rotisserie chickens in. The lid forms a mini greenhouse, trapping humidity. But they still need warmth and a spritz of water every 1-2 days - both of which may be hard to get consistently enough at the new makerspace location. But not at individual homes.

The downside of doing it at homes could be a lack of accessibility for some members, fewer people to remember to tend to them, and trouble getting an accurate idea of what all is growing/has survived. I’m all for raiding the pantry to see what I can find to plant to share - dried beans/grains, some herbs are sold in whole raw seed form, seed salvaged from store produce, root ends of some veggies can be planted. There’s a huge list of possiblity.

1 Like

I’ve grown micro greens with success now there is another cool project

2 Likes

just a followup see farmbot offering thier xl express system turn key almost minus the garden for 1750$

1 Like

We need to get the gardening group going and then this makes total sense… almost all the areas have something like this…

2 Likes

Btw is it too late to plant root flowers?
I was going to try to put them down this weekend…

1 Like

Be ok if you do it in a greenhouse with supplemental lighting

1 Like

I know that we also may be able to apply for funding through Cargill Cares. Who would be the right person to send the application form to?

1 Like

I’d be happy to look over it. Go ahead and send it my way.

As it is fall and there are leaves to be disposed of, would it be possible to set up a compost somewhere on site - keep it out of the land fill and perhaps give us free enrichment for gardens to come?

4 Likes

Just sent it to your Make it email

1 Like

Got it thanks. Will add it to Fundraising Committee folder when I’m on my computer.

Just make sure you leave an area for my fire pit somewhere…lol

1 Like

I totally missed this thread while starting another one. I apologize for stepping on any toes. I’ve actually already reached out to Cargill Cares and received an email that they “think it’s a great idea” and asked if we were a 501c3. Hopefully that means they’re interested in donating. Like I said, I didn’t mean to take over this initiative. Please see the other thread for more details. I’m wanting to get together the week after Christmas to start a formal committee and discuss all of this in further detail.

1 Like

No worries it’s all good. If you need help with the grant let me know I have access to all the information and have written grants before.