Garden Committee Participation

First, I’d like to say that this post isn’t meant to chastise anyone. We are a VOLUNTEER organization and everyone has the right to come and go as they please.

That being said, at this point we don’t really have a committee. Aaron and I were the only ones that attended the previous two meetings and I’m struggling to get any kind of participation going. I was going to try and attend an East Mt. Vernon Neighborhood Association meeting to try and drum up support outside of MakeICT. In the meantime, I’m going to post ideas and start having conversations on the forum if it’s not possible to actually meet virtually.

If anyone is interested in being a part of the gardening committee, please say so below and I will start tagging you in some posts. At this point, much of the hard work has been done. We have plenty of infrastructure out there to have a huge community garden. This isn’t something that will require massive amounts of your time. But we need to at least meet once a month according to our bylaws. Thank you!

2 Likes

I have been remiss in getting that Neighborhood Association Meeting on the Calendar. It is Thursday at 6:30pm.

2 Likes

I would like to help, but I cant commit to meetings. I’ll bring my midget along this spring to help plant some veggies again and do a watering whenever Im able to stop by.

2 Likes

I’m over scheduled and Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday evenings are not possible for me.

As I’ve said before I’d like to be on the committee, but don’t think that you should schedule according to my availability.

I also believe that it’s unlikely to get many people to commit to meeting in the winter.

This may be an opportunity to either modify the committee policy or to make the garden an “Area”. Either of which require Board approval.

2 Likes

I’m going to second that thought. Garden committee built up a garden area and it just makes more sense to me to have the garden area have a lead.
Granted its a bit more seasonal then other traditional areas of the space but it makes more sense then having the committee having to reform and declare itself every growing season as intrest increases.

3 Likes

We were hoping to get away from everything falling on one person’s shoulders, that’s why the committee policy was written. It was based off of the policy that the Dallas makerspace has in place. The idea was to test it with new areas in the new building and revisit it in a couple of years to update it to what works best for us. I saw it was brought up at the last board meeting but tabled for later. If someone is already reviewing it, I’d be happy to help.

1 Like

I can definitely try to help but I do work nights. Don’t know if I can make committee meetings but I’ll do my best to keep up with anything online.

I tried to make a garden committee meeting quite a few months back but yeah….no one showed up. :sweat_smile:

I think gardening is obviously seasonal. I would just ask the board for a waiver during the winter months… a permanent waiver… see what months that you don’t think you can get members for and just ask.

I moved some stuff so I’ll show up for this Mondays (01/24) meeting for sure. Assuming it’s still on.