Franks plasma cutting table Journey

Plan to add a plasma cutting table to my shop been trying for a while to take class at MakeICT and I can’t seem to make the connection.
I already have a great plasma cutter hypertherm 85, looking at a langmuir crossfire pro.
Anyone heard of these?

1 Like

Langmuir is a good basic hobby machine. Just depends on what you want to cut / do. You already have a powerful powermax 85. We use the Powermax 85 at Groover labs. If it were me personally, I would either build one like We did (Curt and I built the Plasma table at Make ICT and our new 4x8 table at Groover Labs) , or buy something a step above the langmuir. I assume you are planning on a 4x4 machine for your space at home? Feel free to PM me on facebook as well if you need anything. Good luck Frank

1 Like

Hey @Frank, I replied in my build thread, but figured I’d drop a note here. Honestly, for what they’re wanting for these tables, I built my own. I love the feeling of accomplishment of building it myself, as well as the intimate knowledge of the machine, so when it goes haywaire, I at least have some idea of why it went nuts, or where to look to fix it.

A great place for DIY is https://openbuildspartstore.com/ they sell kits, as well as basic members for any CNC project.
There is one piece I still consider getting for my table, which is their black box controller:
BlackBox Motion Control System - OpenBuilds Part Store

Also, here’s a good video of Dr. D-Flo (don’t laugh) building one of their kits & was essentially the last push I needed in deciding to build my own:

1 Like

As far as kits go, I believe that Open Builds also has complete kits.

I reached out to open builds for kit they have cnc router tables but no plasma tables yet they are working on it but could not give me a definitive time when they would go into production.

1 Like

Can you update the name of this thread? I’m interested in following the topic, but “Decided” doesn’t cue in my short, short memory as to this being the thread about Frank’s plasma cutter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Done!

3 Likes

Torch and consumables kit in today for my Hypertherm 85
I have ordered table plasma cnc table from langmuir but it is on back order till july

2 Likes

Which model did you go with?

Crossfire pro 4x3

1 Like

With THC

2 Likes

Say what?

1 Like

Torch Height Control

1 Like

sounds almost like a gateway gadget

1 Like

We call those Gateway Maker Drugs or GMDs

2 Likes

Glad we cleared that up.

1 Like

Still highly addictive

2 Likes

Did you ever get this?

Funny you should ask I just got the tracking number for last piece better late than never I guess this was supposed to have been here in july

3 Likes

Frank any updates on this?