Frames for Fine Arts

Hey everyone. I’m looking for someone that could teach framing for artists that work with canvas. The idea is to get artists to buy a frame from a thrift store and use it to frame their paintings for display. Does anyone here know anything about this type of thing?

1 Like

One of the wood shop classes that happen every so often actually makes a frame from scratch… so that also might be an option if you can’t find a frame to fit.

1 Like

That’s a great idea

1 Like

I’ve tried repeatedly to get this as a regular class. It would fill up all the time with artist.

1 Like

Great. Any idea when they will have another class?

I would probably just ask for one here or talk to @doug.wilson our woodshop lead. It was a pretty cool class and by the end of it, I had a decent walnut frame… and that was only the second time I did things in the wood shop. I think Larry Roth was the fellow that taught my class.

2 Likes

I looked up a couple of “How to” Videos on how to frame a canvas and it doesn’t seem all that hard. If we can’t get an expert to show us… maybe we just put together a day for us all to get together and try it…

These seemed pretty informative:

I also wondered on to this one that tells you how to stretch a canvas/
2 Likes

I was just watching that top video before you sent this lol. I definitely want to try if we can’t get someone to show us.

1 Like

I took the class with Larry and created a beautiful black walnut frame, bevelled. It was great. It was $35 for the class, which was well worth it.
Having said that, are you talking about making frames from scratch, stretching canvass over frames, or cutting down used frames to create new frames?
I have a particular interest in learning how to stretch canvass over wood to create your own frames, and buying old cheap frames and cutting them down to use as new frames.
As an artist, I am always looking for a way to spend less money on frames and canvasses.
There are also art boxes made out of wood that would be wonderful to have a class in. 3 sided, back open, raw wood, gessoed, 1- 1.5" in depth.

1 Like