Forge committee sign up list

Please keep track of what is donated and make sure @Finance has a record of it so the have it for txa purposes.

I’ve started piling forge stuff together in the hot metalshop as I come across it. There’s a little bit laying around, not quiet enough to put a full forge together, but enough to get something impressive started.

I wouldn’t mind helping out with the committee and at least putting my knowledge in where needed.

Also, I’m working with Lee from the Haysville blacksmithing guild to get a knife making class (out of 5160 steel) on the calendar that includes some basic heat treating and tempering. So hopefully that will draw some more potential members out of the wood work.

4 Likes

You should run me through that class just to make sure it’s going to work…

2 Likes

I’ve been putting off making a beveling jig until after putting the propane forge together. If you’re talking about a knife making class then I might want to put that higher on the list.

Side note on availability for me: Weekdays after 6 fairly safe, most weekends free all day.

1 Like

what kind of budget is needed? maybe we could do a fundraiser? i just signed back up after a long hiatus and am willing to make and donate at least a half dozen cheese boards with exotic and domestic hardwoods. since i was about 8, i’ve wanted to make my own atlantean sword, so this might be a dream come true for me.

1 Like

I’m sure this will be discussed, but keep in mind, like other activities, there are continuing costs associated with a forge. Depending on where it’s purchased, it seems like coke can be a little expensive in small quantities.

This might be useful

1 Like

I was going to suggest some stuff like this:

2 Likes

Besides the obvious of helping me with knife work I’d love to try my hand at making heirloom quality hand tools like you would have seen pre-1900s. Got a soft spot in my heart for tools meant to outlive the user by about 5 generations.

2 Likes

See @rustin.atkeisson my screwdriver class WAS a good idea!

2 Likes

sddefault

Beauty of form and function.

3 Likes

I believe they are thinking a gas forge, but most people that don’t have gas forges use coal not coke.

That might be. My cousin uses coke for his forge since it’s hotter and cleaner.

Bitumin coal is more widely used than coke. I also have a personal desire to teach a class about making your own coal from branches and leftover wood scraps.

1 Like

We aren’t going to be using anything if we can’t agree on a consistent time for the committee meetings.

1 Like

Does everyone have some free time tomorrow to have a meeting just to get the semblance of a ball rolling or is that too soon?

1 Like

How about this

Which day/time works best for you?

Saturday 1-2
Tuesday 6-7
Thursday 6-7

I will make this a zoomable meeting.

1 Like

Saturday is fine for me

1 Like

All three are fine for me.

1 Like

Saturday it is.

Topic: forge committee meeting
Time: May 15, 2021 01:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/77519588174?pwd=SVRGVGpoMHJidHN0MUJwMlhKYmUyUT09

Meeting ID: 775 1958 8174
Passcode: 8ypkT0

1 Like