For those who have a Cricut

I’ll just leave this here:

Never mind, at least for now:

Wow. I hope everyone jumps ship, both on cricut and any other company that does this.

1 Like

Well I feel like I made a great decision now going with brother scan and cut

1 Like

Not at all surprised that Cricut is going this route. Their older machines required you to buy a bunch of cartridges with designs loaded onto them, and they cracked down on people that figured out how to get the machine to cut arbitrary designs.

2 Likes

Brother encourages creating your own hence the scanner

1 Like

Cricut essentially tried to change their sidtware/driver outputs to only 20 files per month regardless of where the file came from. And required a membership for unlimited output. It’s not that they are limiting users to 20 free designs per month, it’s that they are limiting 20 file outputs per month.

1 Like

I bought an old one, hoping to be able to cut some custom stuff, but apparently the firmware was upgraded at some point to a version that limits you to their stuff only. I’ve never been able to find the files to downgrade it, and now the software that would interface with it to push the designs in is impossible to get, so I guess mine is just a space-taker-upper now. One day, I want to learn the plotter there, but haven’t had a real need yet. Maybe I should look at what Brother offers.

2 Likes

@Paula was working on ours to convert it to work somehow.

1 Like

I have an old 6" wide cricut that I used with Make the Cut (with a plug-in) that allowed you to drive the cricut directly from your PC. Shoot me a DM if this is what you were looking for.