Foamcore on Foam Cutter

Greetings, all.

I will soon need to cut foamcore board (~1/4 in thk) for an upcoming project. Glancing through past topics, it appears that laser-cutting foamcore is tricky at best, and there may be some warping in the foam by the end. I need clean cuts the full way through for 90% of my work.

Is our in-house foam cutter sturdy enough to cut the Kraft paper layers in foamcore? Anyone tried doing foamcore with the foam cutter? Or, is the laser cutter just fine for this? Any and all insight is appreciated; would love to kick this off in the near future.

Thanks as always.

1 Like

Probably the first question is, how big of a sheet do you need to cut? If they are large pieces, our cutter would probably not work. @ssaner can probalby answer better than me, but if they are small enough to fit, our cutter shouldn’t have any problems with Kraft paper.

2 Likes

From experiments we tried with rediboard a while back it is possible on the laser but will probably require a lot of trial-and-error to dial everything in. The foam cutter is probably the better option.

4 Likes