Fire brick donation

I just got off the phone with Jai, obviously this thread went scorched earth. I hope anyone reading this can take a valuable lesson from it.

Direct communication can and is extremely more effective than back and forth exchanges on the forum.

I won’t delete or close this thread but I ask that any further discussion here be about rebuilding the gas kiln, replacing the small (but possibly larger) metal forges we had, and future planning of an area for a raku and or wood kiln.

We’ve got a great community here even when things get sour we are all adults who can forgive or move past situations that may have made us uncomfortable in the past.

I look forward to updating y’all on the progress of the gas kiln rebuild. As @SeanSandefur mentioned earlier this will be an enormous draw locally. Currently no other institution in our area besides the university offers atmospheric outdoor firing. This will be a huge for MakeICT and our ceramics community.

DWH

8 Likes

Hope this all happens maybe we could fence off kiln to keep it secure from public

2 Likes

… and obviously it will need to be epic. I’ve seen some pretty cool ones online. Some pretty weak ones too.

2 Likes

Frank absolutely a dog run has been in the talks so if anyone comes across anything similar to an 8x8 or larger dog run or has one to donate that would be awesome.
DWH

2 Likes

Thanks to both Devin and Jai for making the effort to clear up any issues. I know both of you have the best interests of MakeICT at heart.

5 Likes

I hope this Cluster “BLEEP” gets figured out. The ceramic departments has grown over the last 2 years I’ve been a member, and it keeps growing. An outdoor Kiln would generate MORE income and members. An Outdoor Kiln would allow the Ceramics Department to fire much bigger pieces. We are limited in what we can do because our Kilns are only so big. With an outdoor kiln and the extremely reasonable monthly fees, I’m positive when word spreads we have an outdoor kiln that some local ceramic artists will join JUST for the use of the Kiln. Evans charges by the pound to fire a piece. A 10lb piece costs $20 to Bisque and another $20 to Glaze Fire. That is $4o for one piece so, it becomes cost effective and well worth the monthly fee to join makeict for an artist such as myself. As I said before, the Ceramic Department is growing as every one knows, There is a HUGE interest by the entire Ceramics Department for an Outdoor Kiln and a fire pit. I can’t imagine it taking more than a few hours to get the correct information about how far the Brick Kiln or a Firing Pit has to be from the Building. The information is a phone call away to the City Code Inspectors Office. YES!!! I want an Outdoor Kiln and Yes I want to see a Firing Pit and so does every member of the Ceramics Department so can we figure out a way to make this happen. Also, if there was more Social Media attention to the different things we do at Makerspace and the possibilities, then I believe we would attract more members. Example, feature a different Department each month and promote the day lights out of it in local Social Media Platforms and pages like Wichita on the Cheap and Wichita Art Scene to name a few. I know we have a lot of Irons in the Fire but an outdoor Kiln would be great!!!

1 Like

If you tag @MakeICT in your social media post I will gladly re share them. If you send me pictures and captions I will share then on our social media, I don’t want to only share my view point. Unfortunately, I have asked here repeatedly for content to share. I currently have 2 members regularly tagging me in their Stories and no one but myself tagging the space in post between Facebook and Instagram. Post must be public for the page to be able to re-share.

1 Like