Filament donating

I’ve done some 3D printing lately.

I rarely have small amounts of cash to pay for my prints, but I keep track and when I got to owing like $20 I figured why not just buy a roll and donate it to MakeICT?

I never need a whole spool of one color, I’ll just print a few things off it, so this way I get a color on the shelves that I like for a little while but make up for the other colors I used.

I bought some glow in the dark hatchbox.

Printed a thing with it on Saturday, then left the spool on the shelves.

And it’s already gone.

So… I guess I should not do this? Or do we really blow through filament this quickly?

3 Likes

Ah, we were wondering where that came from. Glow-in-the-dark filaments are pretty abrasive, so they damage brass nozzles. You need a hardened nozzle to print it without wear issues. I hid the spool in our super secret hiding spot for things that shouldn’t be used. I do have a 0.4mm hardened steel nozzle that I could install on one of the printers if you want to use the glow filament. We will have to put big obnoxious labels on it to warn people not to use it with brass nozzles.

3 Likes

O…

What’s a good brand of hardened steel nozzle that would fit on …say…an anet a8?

···

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023, 13:24 Christian Kindel via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Christian MakeICT Member
January 20 |

• | - |

Ah, we were wondering where that came from. Glow-in-the-dark filaments are pretty abrasive, so they damage brass nozzles. You need a hardened nozzle to print it without wear issues. I hid the spool in our super secret hiding spot for things that shouldn’t be used. I do have a 0.4mm hardened steel nozzle that I could install on one of the printers if you want to use the glow filament. We will have to put big obnoxious labels on it to warn people not to use it with brass nozzles.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Oh darn it! Thanks Christian. It was literally a coin flip for me on whether I bought that one or a purple, as usual I coin flipped wrong.

It printed a small thing nicely… we used to have glow filament around all the time!

1 Like

I’ve always heard glow in dark is abrasive to brass nozzles. I suppose if that roll was not used on the same machine exclusively, probably not notice much difference.

Anyone use much Glow in Dark? Is it as abrasive as often noted?

Well I hate for it to just go to waste.

Anyone with a home 3D printer want to make me an offer on it? It was $30, I obviously would sell it for less than that because I made a stupid mistake of thinking I could just get any color hatchbox and make a donation without checking with an area lead first, I thought it was just another color. lesson learned.

otherwise I’ll take it back and facebook marketplace it.

OR does anyone else want it at the space, with christian’s help we could use a different nozzle and print some glowing things, but I don’t want to request that just for me.

2 Likes

I think we need to find ways to communicate what nozzles (and other configurations) are on each machine to allow the different set-ups people are wanting. I don’t use the 3d printers so I’m going to depend on those who do to help set guidelines.

I’d encourage you to hold onto the glow filament if you’d like to use it.

2 Likes

It would not be expensive to have a few hardened steel nozzles. There might be some there already.

Wood and carbon fiber filaments are considered abrasive too.