ETA on Metalshop/Woodshop?

I was wondering if there was an ETA on when the Woodshop & Metalshop are planned to be completed?

I’ve got two potential new members that have been wanting to join, but I haven’t been able to give them an idea on when the space will be usable for the “big stuff”.

2 Likes

I was told weeks not months by the past president, but that was 20 days ago. I wish they would provide more information to people.

1 Like

I 100% am with you on this. I actually have some tools I need to make / have made and my shop at home is insufficient.

I do know we are making progress but there is a lot to do and everyone is a volunteers just like us. Helping at remake Tuesdays or contacting Paula on when you can help would go a long way in making the process faster. More hands make less work.

2 Likes

the board member that replied to my other post saying weeks , also mentioned needing between $30,000 and $300,000 before it would be open. I assumed that meant a long wait and something more than just volunteers helping to get something bigger done?

1 Like

Yup that was me. I’m not the most “in the know” board member but I will always share what I do know.

Anybody know the status of our reappraisal?

If you REALLY want the inside scoop, come out Tuesday evenings!

And if you want a board that communicates better, run for the board! My time on it is ending.

2 Likes

The speed that the shops will be up and running largely depends on people helping. Anyone who is tired of waiting should come out on Tuesdays and help out. Setting up a new space is gonna take some time, but in the ong run we will have space for even more cool stuff…

I’ll admit I was skeptical about the whole thing but sitting in what will be the ERP room and getting a feel for it… seeing the benches in there I can see how this can come together. Made me feel excited, and super proud of our makerspace actually.

Hungry too but it was dinner time so…

I certainly understand it’ll take hands on deck to get MakeICT back up and running. I’ve been down to help out, even before the Re-MakeICT Tuesdays. I’m just still lacking any sense of timetable for the “big shops” to reopen. I just figured I’d ask here to try and see if I could get my friend an answer to when he might be able to join. Needless to say, I’ll be there every Tuesday I can, until my other weekly obligations pop back up.

We’re very close to having our partial certificate of occupancy in the next couple weeks which would allow us to use all of the South hall and possibly a portion of the West hall.

We really do need help to get the partial certificate of occupancy. the best way to help is to contact Paula Pankratz or to show up on Tuesday nights to coordinate with everyone involved.

We have a few big items left before applying for the PCO:

1. Clean all the rooms in the South Hall
  2. Paint/Put up white boards in the other 2 classrooms and future co-working area
  3. Finish the plumbing

Getting the woodshops and metalshops up and going is going to be a bit more complicated (a lot of paperwork) and expensive to complete, but Jai (our elected General Contractor) is leading up the efforts to get the complicated parts sorted out and teams lined up to rock out the electrical, HVAC, and other things that we’ll need to take care of before we can fully open the building.

Rustin Atkeisson
MakeICT Secretary

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

i have experience in hanging ductwork and tools to do it. id be more than will to help run the ductwork for the dust collection for the woodshop. but i have questions about layout of the shop and what type of hangers we will be using. ive got another week of furlough so i have time.

2 Likes

@doug.wilson

2 Likes

I would love to come help but I am usually not available on Tuesdays evenings. Are there other days/times people can come help paint and clean?

2 Likes

There are people there daily from about 10am up until around 6pm-ish usually. Just make sure you clock the time your there to the volunteer page (when you’re there, there is a little podium with the website written on it, or you can scan the QR code).

1 Like

I am happy to meet with anyone and get them lined out on a task or two that needs completed. I am available in the evenings after 5:45pm. Once you know the tasks and where the supplies are, you’d be free to come in on your schedule. What night is best for you?
Otherwise Cathy is there most days …We can work something out with her schedule too.

1 Like

im available all day at the moment. for the woodshop ill need to know a few things before i start, we can go over them before hand. as far as i know, right now. i can pop by at the time you’ll be there.

1 Like

Bump … @doug.wilson what is the plan for getting the dust collection hung?

That’s next on my list. I’m thinking to do it the same way the sliding doors were hung; with a brace on the opposing wall. I’ve already got the bolts.

1 Like

Is the current plan for the woodshop/metalshop to be included in the re-opening on the 15th?

We really need funding for the full 220 electric experience. We hope you’ll consider making a membership pledge on our IndieGoGo.

https://igg.me/at/makeict/x/24919639#/

But, we’re still committed to starting up a Woodshop (Lite) if we don’t surpass our funding goals. That would include any and all tools that run on 110 (shopbot, lathes, sanders, the miter saw, a bandsaw, and the drill press).

Also, please feel free to share that link and tell your friends!

Your Pal,
Doug

2 Likes