ERP Sign

Heyo Electronics Peeps!

The ERP sign has been started!! Feel free to work on it as you’re available.

We are using the heat gun to soften the plastic, pliers so our fingers burn fewer times, and masking tape to hold the fiber in place on the pattern.

Be aware that the fiber optics are pretty/very fragile, so be careful as you go!

The goal is to trace the lettering we have on the paper with fiber optics. Then we’ll secure it to the big piece of cardboard we have in the ERP.

Holler at me if you have any questions!

Happy Making!

Tagging @james.a.seymour and @supercritical for awareness!

8 Likes

Heyo ERP-y friends,

Somewhere in the e or the l the light gets lost :cry::cry: I don’t know where I went wrong. It worked the other day, I added a letter and a half, and suddenly it doesn’t work.

Basically, this sign needs help.

I’ll be here about 6p till ? tomorrow if anyone wants to come help. Or just work on it, I don’t need to be here. I just don’t understand why I lost light at a weird spot that worked before I added more letters. :woman_shrugging:t3:
#helptheERP!

4 Likes

I’d like to offer to help. I could get to MakeICT about 6:45 PM Friday evening.

4 Likes

Sounds good Mike! The more I think about it, 6:45/7p sounds better to me (getting dinner after with prior to coming down sounds like a better plan than what I did today🤦🏼‍♀️).
See you tomorrow!

3 Likes

@r3mm13 tagging for awareness :slight_smile: :grin:

Feel like we started from scratch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe a bit late for this, but I would just stick with “Electronics” and drop the “Rapid Prototyping”. I’ve tried to convince @james.a.seymour to drop it a few times over the years, mostly because it is not really a good descriptor for what goes on in there. Rapid Prototyping is generally used to refer to 3D printing and other CNC processes. And nobody knows what you mean when you abbreviate it to ERP. In this particular instance it would also make your sign easier to build. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Here’s some soap for your box!

And your thoughts will be taken into consideration.

Less burning fingers is good. :fire::fire:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Ugh, and the G is the prettiest letter on that entire draft. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Cutting the prettiest letter, that’s rough. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

“Drop the RP. Just Electronics. It’s cleaner.”

3 Likes

Hello!
I plan to be at the space about 11a ish to work on the sign a little bit. All are welcome to join.

@r3mm13 @supercritical @james.a.seymour

2 Likes

Actually, maybe 11:30…

1 Like

The fiber for the letters is cut and labeled (it’s in weird insulation stuff, but that’s solely for measuring and it should be removed for before heating).
I measured enough for each piece of each letter PLUS 4” on BOTH sides. (Cuz we don’t exactly know yet how we’re lighting them/the lighting part hasn’t been finalized).

Anyone is welcome to come and play with the heat gun and start forming the letters. Everything you should need should be on the table (unless I forgot something :slight_smile: ).

Happy Making!

5 Likes

So sorry I couldn’t come help Kez!! I had a horrid migraine all weekend, but after today I’ll be free to come by during the evening times this week^^ ooh and I have to sign up for the LED tree class :eyes: going to do that now

2 Likes

Migraines are rough. Hope you’re feeling better!

2 Likes