Epoxy rules of the wood shop?

I just poured a small epoxy and wood table. I would like to plane it. Can I use our planer?

Thanks,
Barb Cook

2 Likes

Yes. But DON’T cut it on the table saw. That would trigger the brake. Also, be sure that it’s fully cured.

···

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023, 2:04 PM Barbara J. Cook via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| docmom7
September 20 |

• | - |

I just poured a small epoxy and wood table. I would like to plane it. Can I use our planer?

Thanks,
Barb Cook

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

5 Likes

Ok. Thank you!

···

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 3:12 PM Doug Wilson via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| doug.wilson Printshop Lead
September 20 |

• | - |

Yes. But DON’T cut it on the table saw. That would trigger the brake. Also, be sure that it’s fully cured.

··· (click to show quoted text, requires login)

1 Like

Also, you should technically have the hazardous material authorization to cut epoxy and other plastics in the woodshop. This is largely because the shaving stick to the rollers in the planer. Please unplug, lock-out, and thoroughly clean the planer if you put epoxy through it. Thanks, and happy making!

8 Likes

Be advised that the planer warms up the epoxy, especially after multiple passes, and it can revert to a more liquid (aka sticky) state, even if it’s fully cured. This can damage both the planer and the item.

I’d recommend sanding instead if at all possible. You can start at maybe 220 and then go up to 1,000 or higher to preserve that clarity and smoothness. That also warms up the epoxy, but if you’re using, say, a random orbital sander you’re moving quickly and probably not in a localized area, so it’s not as much of a concern.

7 Likes

Ok! Sanding we will!! Thanks!

···

On Wed, Sep 20, 2023 at 6:22 PM Aaron Rivers via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| squarenuts Regular
September 20 |

• | - |

Also, you should technically have the hazardous material authorization to cut epoxy and other plastics in the woodshop. This is largely because the shaving stick to the rollers in the planer. Please unplug, lock-out, and thoroughly clean the planer if you put epoxy through it. Thanks, and happy making!

5 Likes