Ender 5 first layer issues

That works pretty good! Those “helper disks” are available to easily add using a new feature of PrusaSlicer 2.4.0+. Go to Window > Shape Gallery > helper_disk.stl and add to the build plate.

1 Like

I’ll be in the Fab Lab tonight roughly 6:30-8:30pm working on replacing the LCD and flashing new firmware on the Ender. Feel free to join if you have time and are curious about the process. I’m planning on flashing it with Marlin 2.0.

Aw, I was hoping we’d do serialized filament runout detectors… a Filament Centipede, if you will. [schematic illustration omitted]

Ah caught this too late My bad

We got the new LCD installed and flashed Marlin 2.0.9.3. Started with the example config for the Ender 5+ and made some adjustments. It’s not done yet, but the results are very promising so far.

Here’s a video of a bed probe sequence with the new firmware. Not sure about the order of probe points, but it is definitely way faster: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MEPyvif6YNuvNaKW7

1 Like

Are you SURE that isn’t a time lapse?

Looks like the Ender 5 has been working much better since the upgrade. For those who might be interested, we used this LCD. We had to pull off the plastic shrouds on the connectors and flip them around since the key was on the wrong side. This is the adapter that we printed to mount it to the frame.

The firmware we installed is Marlin 2. These are the instructions for downloading and building Marlin. We used the Platformio setup in VSCode. And here are the updated
Configuration.h (110.0 KB) and Configuration_adv.h (171.8 KB)
files that we modified to work the way we wanted.

To create the initial leveling mesh we installed the Bed Visualizer plugin in Octoprint and added the following GCode commands for mesh update:

G28 ; home all axes
M155 S30 ; reduce temperature reporting rate to reduce output pollution
M190 S65 ; (optional) wait for the bed to get up to temperature
G29 P1 ; automatically populate mesh with all reachable points
G29 P3 ; infer the rest of the mesh values
G29 P3 ; infer the rest of the mesh values again
@BEDLEVELVISUALIZER ; tell the plugin to watch for reported mesh
M420 S1 V ; enabled leveling and report the new mesh
G29 S0 ; Save UBL mesh points to slot 0 (EEPROM).
G29 F 10.0 ; Set Fade Height for correction at 10.0 mm.
G29 A ; Activate the UBL System.
M500 ; save the current setup to EEPROM
M155 S3 ; reset temperature reporting
M140 S0 ; cooling down the bed

We also added a command to the start G-code in Octoprint to run a quick 3-point tilt on the saved leveling mesh before each print:

G29 J ; Probe 3 points to determine mesh tilt

1 Like

Excellent follow-up! I’ll be doing this and referring to this post! Thanks!

1 Like