Empty Bowls is a fundraiser for the Kansas Food Bank (where I work) and is a collaboration between the WSU Ceramics Guild, The Ulrich Museum of Art, the School of Art, Design & Creative Industries at WSU, as well as USD 259, and many others, not to mention a ton of amazing sponsors. Read more about it here.
The main chili cook-off event, where you can buy any number of amazing hand-crafted bowls, will be happening on October 22nd from 11 AM - 1 PM, in the amazing new Woolsey Hall at WSU. The chili is great, thanks to a couple dozen competitors / sponsors, and there are going to be a whole bunch of amazing desserts again this year! Tickets are $25, $10 for students. Your ticket gets you one bowl of your choice, and access to delicious chili and scrumptious deserts! There will be MANY bowls available to purchase, prices ranging from $5 - $50, which make amazing gifts for all the people in your life.
Prior to the big Chili Cook-Off, there are a couple of ways you can engage with the program:
- If you want to make a bowl at home or here at MakeICT either ceramic, wood, or glass to donate, check the ‘Calling All Bowl Makers’ poster on the door to the Ceramics Studio for details on how to get your bowls to WSU to be included in the event.
- Saturday, September 24 - COMMUNITY BUILD-A-BOWL WORKSHOP
** 1-3 PM | [Henrion Hall, WSU], Free Event, No Registration Required
- Thursday, October 6 - VISITING ARTIST TALK - Eddie Dominguez, Creative by Nature
** 1-2 PM | WSU Ulrich Museum, Free Event, No Registration Required
- Friday, October 7 - CERAMIC NATIONAL INVITATIONAL
** Opening Reception | 5-9 PM, on view OCT 7-29, Reuben Saunders Gallery
- Friday, October 7 - 10 HIGH SCHOOLS, 10 BOWLS, 10,000 MEALS
** Opening Reception | 6-9 PM, on view OCT 7-19, WSU Shiftspace Gallery
If you have any questions, please get in touch. I’m always happy to talk about the work we do at the Kansas Food Bank.