Electronics Lab Authorization?

I’ve scrolled pretty far back in the past events and don’t see any classes referring to this. Also, i didn’t see mention of the topic in the wiki either but i may have missed it. So, i’ll come right out and ask, what are the requirements for entry to that lab?

I bought a 20 year old HP Scanjet 4600 NIB on eBay to scan a large area and then use software to stitch the scans together. I got roughly 25 scans out of it over 3 weeks before it malfunctioned.

I’d like to know if there is an ESR meter in that lab that i could use to check capacitors in-circuit on the board.

I’m no stranger to electricity although my original training did not include electronics. So, I’ve self-taught some of that. Not sure how much more info I need to give or whatever it takes to be in that room.

Thanks.

3 Likes

There are no safety class requirements to be in the ERP. The only requested is that you read and understand the wiki page at Electronics and Rapid Prototyping - MakeICT Wiki mostly just to avoid damaging sensitive equipment, like the spectrum analyzer.

I’d personally advise against putting anything in your mouth while in there. (Solder, wire, components, exacto knife blades, etc)

Also be careful with spillable liquids.

3 Likes

Correct.

While it doesn’t take an authorization to work in the lab, the spec anny does need authorization.

···

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023, 13:00 Mike Barushok via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| mikeb
January 6 |

• | - |

There are no safety class requirements to be in the ERP. The only requested is that you read and understand the wiki page at Electronics and Rapid Prototyping - MakeICT Wiki mostly just to avoid damaging sensitive equipment, like the spectrum analyzer.

I’d personally advise against putting anything in your mouth while in there. (Solder, wire, components, exacto knife blades, etc)

Also be careful with spillable liquids.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

Great! Ill comb through the wiki. Thanks

1 Like

Are there many classes offered in ERP? I’m not a complete idiot in that area but consider myself pretty close to it. I’ve have had interest in learning but get intimidated pretty quickly.

2 Likes

I teach a class in there that does soldering/ case modifying, but it is very guided and also limited. In the class we build a gameboy from a nintendo ds. Great intro, but very limited scope. The next one is on the 14th.
Beyond that, i can help a bit in troubleshooting, but i do my best work with plans/ diagrams.

3 Likes

I need to get classes up, right now I am covering my boss at work till feb. What kind of class are you interested in?

···

On Fri, Jan 6, 2023, 17:31 Ben Rogers via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| Ben.rogers Committee Lead
January 6 |

• | - |

I teach a class in there that does soldering/ case modifying, but it is very guided and also limited. In the class we build a gameboy from a nintendo ds. Great intro, but very limited scope. The next one is on the 14th.
Beyond that, i can help a bit in troubleshooting, but i do my best work with plans/ diagrams.

In Reply To

| xrunner MakeICT Member
January 6 |

• | - |

Are there many classes offered in ERP? I’m not a complete idiot in that area but consider myself pretty close to it. I’ve have had interest in learning but get intimidated pretty quickly.

4 Likes

Don’t know that I have anything specific in mind. I do look at projects for Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Of the two, I’d need more help with Arduino so doing something cool/fun with that could be nice.

2 Likes

I should have read the wiki before i made this thread. However, responding to your question about what classes I would like to see when you get time would be, Basic Electronics Workshop and Circuit Design and Fab are two listed in the wiki that i would show up for. These are areas that i would like to learn better than i understand them now.

Rapid Prototyping with CNC sounds great too.

Arduino interests me as well. I saw thiis article a few weeks back and some of the projects fascinate me:

300+ DIY Arduino Projects and Tutorials - Circuit Digest 300+ Arduino Projects and Tutorials with Source Code, Schematics & Complete DIY Explanation

3 Likes

Arduino is one of those skills that are super useful in so many ways. The programming is easy enough that you can learn it pretty easily, it’s useful enough that its worthwhile, and you can build on the circuit building by getting deeper into … well circuits, and build on the programming by getting into python and c++. (This is all my opinion btw)

I’ll have to look at my supplies and see what I can offer in feb. But I’m spread thin between work and home at the moment. My life does have some dull moments, but apparently not while mars is in retrograde. Lol!

2 Likes

Count me among those interested in Arduino and other basic electronics theory.

2 Likes

I would like to start teaching some classes in the ERP. I could teach basic electrical and electronics theory and basic Arduino (and ESP8266/ESP32). Also basic and advanced soldering.

My greatest area of less common expertise might be advanced troubleshooting and understanding limitations of test equipment.

Unfortunately I don’t know yet when I will be able to drive due to new onset Atrial Fibrillation. It might work out better if I just helped collaborate with someone that wants some help putting together a class or two.

3 Likes

I would also be interested in those same classes. Soldering, basic electronics, ARDUINO, etc.
I am an electrician, but rarely got to work with the smarter stuff. Mostly commercial/industrial/construction & maintenance.

2 Likes

I’d love to teach classes in ERP but it’s been a minute since I did much arduino stuff so I’d need help developing a course. Maybe we should do a group learning night, see what’s in there?

5 Likes

It’s probably more than can be taught in a single class but how about guiding a class through one of the hundreds of Arduino POV projects and combining it with reducing the final board to using only the ATMEGA chip instead of the Arduino? Maybe this isn’t as possible as I hope?

For replacing the Arduino with the chip I’m referencing this Instructable.

This would be an example POV project, though the 3d printed parts could be replaced with something less refined - or combined with a separate 3d class!

3 Likes

That’s an awesome project!
Adafruit has some cool POV projects and I think they give access to the code so a pov class would be fun (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1776) I’ll think about it, it may be an intermediary class so I would expect a background in arduino.

I’d also love to see some msp430 classez… I’ve played with propeller boards too.

···

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023, 06:18 Dave Miller via MakeICT Forum <noreply@talk.makeict.org> wrote:

| xrunner MakeICT Member
January 18 |

• | - |

It’s probably more than can be taught in a single class but how about guiding a class through one of the hundreds of Arduino POV projects and combining it with reducing the final board to using only the ATMEGA chip instead of the Arduino? Maybe this isn’t as possible as I hope?

For replacing the Arduino with the chip I’m referencing this Instructable.

This would be an example POV project, though the 3d printed parts could be replaced with something less refined - or combined with a separate 3d class!

3 Likes