Egg Storage

We raise chickens and get a lot of eggs. I was frustrated trying to keep track of which were the oldest eggs on the kitchen counter–you need to use the oldest ones first. So, my wife and I designed and built this rack last weekend. Each shelf holds 18 eggs and is loose in the frame so the stock can be rotated easily. We use them from the top rack first. When the top rack is emptied, it gets moved to the bottom and all the others move up. This one is solid walnut with a mineral oil finish. I am refining the design for simpler construction and a little more stability.
I love the “banana for scale” I have seen elsewhere on this site, so I included it here, :laughing:

13 Likes

May I ask what size you made the holes? Did you drill them or use a router? Are the edges straight or angled? I’d love to make something similar but my ladies are laying eggs of pretty variable size so I need to plan accordingly. This was a great idea and yours looks quite fancy!

Hi Sherry
We drilled 1 3/8" holes with a drill press and then I tapered the holes with a dovetail bit in my router table. We had the same concern: varying sizes depending on who laid them. I have a drawing in SketchUp if you would like it.

1 Like

@J3553.T Yes, please!

egg shelf.skp (285.7 KB)

There are 2.5 versions in this drawing. Version 1 is what I showed in the picture above. Version 2 uses dados for the shelves to slide in instead of blocks and also added a solid bottom for more stability. Version 2.5 is just 4 trays (72 eggs) instead of the original 5 trays.

2 Likes

I experimented with spacing and diameter and the 22.5° dovetail makes a great fit on a wide variety of egg sizes. I suppose a vertical panel raising bit might do better, but this is what I had.

4 Likes

This is really great. I love simple functional projects like this. And this is almost a requirement for somebody that owns chickens. Otherwise you just have a literal bucket full of eggs all the time.

3 Likes

This is “Before”

4 Likes

Yep that’s pretty much what I remember. I definitely don’t miss having chickens. I tried it and I’m just not a farmer. lol

1 Like

That is a lot of eggs. Here are two more. One is an egg cup for cracking and eating boiled eggs. The other is a Stand for kitchen storage.

They are round and are made on a lathe. The egg cup is fairly simple for a beginning woodturner and a class would take about 2.5 hours. The Stand is not hard, more parts and would take at least 2 2.5 hour classes. Let me know if you are interested in taking a class on the lathe like this.

Egg Cup
Egg Stand

6 Likes

The cups would be fun and useful. I think I have the stand problem worked out. I have a cheap lathe at home, but haven’t used it. I would like to learn proper technique.

2 Likes

This is fantastic!

1 Like

Update: I made another for a friend. I had to modify the design a bit to get the pieces from an oak 1 x 6. Finish is just mineral oil rubbed in.

5 Likes

Carol and I buy eggs for 2.50$ a dozen if you are selling any. we have 2 other ladies we buy 5dozen or so every 2 weeks and what we dont use we freeze dry.

Let us know if you get overwhelmed with eggs

Will do. They are molting right now, so production is lagging consumption!

They will also slow down this time of year if you dont use supplemental lighting on timers

I think this would be a good project for the Shopbot. I may try to make a program in easel for the egg shelves. We have ducks and chickens as well and its a task organizing eggs by date lol. Nice project and thanks!

1 Like

I have it drawn up on SketchUp if that helps. I recently revised the design to fit in standard dimensional lumber. I can send it to you if you like.

3 Likes

Please and thank you!

I’m at work right now but will send it later. Would like me to send directly to you or post it here?

1 Like