Edge lit acrylic sign: Laser or Shopbot?

A quick search on-line shows folks use both router and laser. What have ya’ll had luck using with our equipment? If you used the ShopBot, what type of bit did you use? If you used laser, what speed and power worked the best?

I did one on the laser a while back, but honestly, I just winged it and have no idea what the settings were. Turned out great, though. You can always start with a light pass on the laser, then repeat and/or increase power to get it as deep as it needs to be.

2 Likes

It looks good! Did you go around all 4 sides with the LEDs?

Yes. It’s just one of those LED light tapes that are made for putting behind your TV to make it blah blah blah look good or something. Comes with a remote control and several modes. Not as fine grain in the controls as an Arduino or ESP microcontroller, but it is handy, and it works well. Nice to be able to turn it off from the remote.

And I bought the LED tapes at Walmart on closeout for $1, including the IR remote control.

1 Like

Wow. Great bargain!

I was inspired to make a fighter jet after seeing the Make ICT laser cut one

I made the base from some 1½pvc cut a slot to receive acrylic and designed and 3D printed endcaps.
I would try and use fill at 400 speed 30 power this is what i use on my 100watt laser pretty close in power

3 Likes

Nice!

That is very cool

@cathyb Used to cut a lot of signs for fun. She used to put a new one up on the Welcome Center counter every so often. The one that @Frank mentioned was one of them. I thnk the one that is on the counter now was one of hers.

1 Like

…and I miss it - and the folks at the space! Hope you are well Steve!

We miss you too!!!

Getting out of shape from not dragging heavy things from one end of the space to the other. Had no idea that being a member was almost like belonging to a gym!

4 Likes