Ear Damaging Noise - looking for Ideas & Volunteers

One of the hazards of both our Wood Shop and our Metal Shop is that of potential ear-damaging noise. I’d like to see us make both of those shops a little safer by designing a Dangerous Noise Level warning system. The idea would be to have a device in each shop that monitors sound levels, and then lights up or flashes a warning when the sound reaches a level that could potentially cause hearing damage. At its most basic, it would be a microphone connected to a microcontroller (Arduino or other) that would trigger a relay to start a flashing amber warning light that could be seen throughout the shop.

I’d like to hear ideas on getting this accomplished. The sign itself could be made on the CNC plasma, Shopbot, laser, vinyl cutter, foam cutter, or even another way. We can build a revolving amber light, or simply order one on Amazon for next to nothing.

While it is true that our members are ultimately responsible for using hearing protection when needed, I think it is likely that more folks would think to put on a pair of hearing protectors or ear plugs if the light were there to remind them.

Your thoughts? Ideas? Go!

4 Likes

Here’s one way of doing it:

1 Like

Another example: https://www.instructables.com/id/Unsafe-Noise-Level-Alert-System/

2 Likes

I really like this idea! For those of us already needing hearing aids at 45, I’d like to protect what I’ve got left AND keep others from having to deal with this!

Love this, let’s make it happen!!

1 Like

This would be difficult…unless you came up with some way to determine how far away the sound source was… or carried the device with you (aka Db meter phone apps)… all it would do is tell you if that spot specifically had high levels of sound or not. E.g. While a angle grinder will damage your ears when your right next to it…over by the tormach you are probably fine… simple solution is to always wear plugs/muffs…which you should be doing anyways…even when welding (ever had some hot spatter go down your earhole…not fun)

It’s also simple enough to have it trigger on basic loud sound that might be damaging. It doesn’t have to be perfect, especially when wrong on the side of caution.

2 Likes

Stupid autocorrect. “When erring on the side of caution.”

There’s always the option of going back and editing.

FYI 60 Decibels of Noise is the OSHA threshold on requiring Hearing Protection. Decibels are exponential and not really suitable for measuring non-industrial sounds. SONEs are a linear measurement, better suited to sounds that people deal with in homes or hobby spaces.

Bathroom Exhaust Fans are rated on Sones. The one in the Bathroom at 1500 is between 3 and 4 Sones. The quietest fans available are < 0.3 Sones. A good kitchen exhaust will be about 1.25 Sone. 4 Sone is 50 Decibels.

Information for people to think about.

2 Likes