Dust Collector Switch Update?

THAT would take an attiny85

I would prefer Mycroft

https://mycroft.ai/

No need for any switches. Install huge industrial fan. Remove the on/off switch from the fan too.

1 Like

maybe that would actually pull chips from the planer and jointer! The current setup doesn’t do much for either of those.

1 Like

Exactly! The current setup doesnt do anything for that stuff. Are you tired of the hassle of emptying the dust bin? Struggle with remembering to clean up after yourself on the chopsaw? With a huge fan you can set it and forget it!

1 Like

Really deserving of a new thread, but for the amount of air that dust collector should be able to move, it really doesn’t seem to move much. I know the sawstop doesn’t have a gate, but even with everything else closed off, there doesn’t seem to be a huge suction effect there. There are losses in all of the ducts, but it doesn’t seem like there should be that much loss.

Rather than going with that solution, might I suggest a digital system, which all told probably won’t be much more:

ESPs with buttons. (trivial in a dep sleep, they can also run from batteries, but not that hard for other sources if needed.) More or less that’s what those amazon buttons were. Acutally, if anyone has some, we could probably just hack them. <_<

Then have the control out of a pi zero-w, hooked to a Solid State Relay (or other thing which will fail to off)

Disadvantages:

• Control boards needed
  • Battery or low power source like USB required

Advantages:

• Maintenance tracking (If something has been used for 20 hours, we might need to lubricate it, etc.)
  • If controlling the big fan, plenty of opportunity for pi in the sky.

I’m not sure the big fan belongs in the woodshop, I think it’s the prefect hot air desoldering tool, it’ll desolder and remove all the pieces.

I recently saw two conductor wire that looked like rope. It’s used for ceiling lights. Like you have a light bulb hanging from a rope kind of thing.

geek.wish.com/share/1836uqftek

Then we could make the switch case out of a tree branch. So it looks like a button carved into a piece of wood on a rope… but it’s a fully functional on off switch for the dust collector.

Omg I can’t stop laughing you guys are priceless! :rofl:

Hard wired switches work, reliably.

1 Like

Hard wired switches can be as problematic as wireless, depending on the implementation. Multiple switches like this would certainly require a momentary switch that latches a relay somewhere. Without proper debounce, they will require the same touch as the current remotes.

It’s been 26 days. But I’ve not been able to give it my full attention.

I do have a working circuit I picked up from eevblog. All jellybean parts and the whole thing prob costs less than $2

Of course it’s not any fancy wifi setup, but it should do until @jameslancaster finishes integrating the woodshop with HAL9000

If you want it.

I like it! I was noticing that about the only remote that is fairly reliable now is the one at the jointer. The one at the bandsaw doesn’t seem to do anything. The one at the table saw seems to require multiple attempts. This could be dead batteries but without replacing them all, I’m not sure.

1 Like

It was overdue for having the filter cleaned. I cleaned it last week. It was THICC with dust. And I’ve got up in those hard-to-reach spots on the jointer. Seems to be working REAL nice, now.

1 Like

I think they just need new batteries. Really. I’ve got a few spare in my locker. I’ll swap in some new ones next time I’m in.

1 Like