Dust Collector Switch Update?

Tie dust collector to light switch. Next problem.

I like to work in the dark

That’s a self-solving problem.

Hmmm, maybe, but we’d need to black out all the windows to prevent natural light from entering.

That would be simple, but would probably increase the likelihood of someone not turning the dust collector on because they don’t want to walk across the room to crank the timer.

Mouth full of dust would cure that lol

1 Like

Just close the shop during daylight hours. Next!

Not if they enjoy that flavor.

1 Like

If the microchips in my vaccine were working like they’re supposed to you can tap into that and detect whether I’m at the space using one of the woodworking tools or if I plan to continue using the worker woodworking tools and then turn them in dust collector on based on that

1 Like

Much simpler to simply ban all operations and materials likely to create dust or sawdust.

No soup for you! Lol

Nobody specifically asked for a perfect solution…

Have it triggered on by noise and off by lack of noise… oh wait the dust collector makes noise…

1 Like

In that case, have it triggered on by silence and off by noise.

That remind me of a light fixture I had once that would detect that it was dark and turn itself on then detect its own light and shut itself back off again

1 Like

Must have been stuck in party mode.

2 Likes

Oh, we could set up an array of cameras and use computer vision and AI to detect when pieces of wood become smaller pieces of wood and turn on the dust collector accordingly. As a bonus, it could be configured to detect when you cut your piece to the wrong length and mock you relentlessly with a robo-voice.

1 Like

Now you’re talking maker solutions. We will, however, need to set a completely unrealistic budget and timeline to complete it. Then never complete it.

I recall seeing some kind of switch for dust collection systems that has a non invasive sensor that detects a load/current thru line turns on a relay.
Relay could be used for a motorized blast gate or in our case the collector motor.
Then a circuit to avoid hysteric on off.

Little-known fact: The real world was like this in every respect prior to mid-1963. Everything was also in black & white.

1 Like

Glad I wasn’t born until after a decade later!