Dust collector barrel

Hi all the old barrel kicked the bucket and I made it down to the space just long enough to get a new on put in place.

The new barrel has no windows (yet), so please take a few moments each time you come to use the associated equipment to check the level and empty if needed. If you’re doing much work, please check it periodically as well, the barrel can fill up in just a few minutes with heavy planing! And if you’re feeling particularly excellent, please just check it randomly even if you’re not using it! I super appreciate it, and so do all of our lungs!

The modified lid has a locking ring. Please use it, and gently.

The filters that Jesse installed are flipping awesome, and keeping the barrel under 2/3 full will go a real long wsy in keeping them that way!

I should be getting a few backup barrels soon, I’ll have windows in them to view the dust level when I bring them out.

In other news, I will be hosting ‘Woodshop Workshopping’ meetings starting next Friday at 6:30pm, 7/21/23. I hope to hear issues converning the woodshop and to collaborate to improve the space in ways that makes all the metal shop folks very jealous. So feel free to drop in!

11 Likes

Thank you for doing that. I imagine the plastic barrels will last better than the old one. Hopefully the window doesn’t weaken it too much like it appeared to do on the cardboard one.
I’d probably attend an occasional “Woodshop Workshopping” meeting except Friday and weekend evenings are the only evenings that I probably couldn’t make it up there.

1 Like

Dan, actually a steel barrel, not quite as light as the plastic, and certainly not as light as the cardboard, but the sawdust itself is always the most encumbering component while emptying them. I hope the multiple bins (once available) make it more convenient to change the bins and easier on those who can’t empty them unassisted.

6 Likes