DTI holder

Like most projects, this took far more hours than planned but not more than expected. I’ve been wanting to make this dti holder fashioned after Stefan Gotteswinter’s for several years. I finally got it modeled and started making parts this past week. Made the last pieces tonight. I need to clean up the ends of the arm and then blue it all before assembly.

1 Like

I’m impressed. I know enough to understand what the tool is and how much machining went into your parts, but I have no idea what a DTI is. :laughing:
Are you a machinist by trade or just a hobby? I do mostly wood stuff, but I enjoy watching tubers like This Old Tony who does such things as this.

Thanks! Machine work and fabrication is just a hobby for me. The hope is that one day it’ll pay for itself but that a couple millennia from happening. Especially when I spend hours making something I could buy for $1. (Not this tool, of course.)

Looks like your doing great!

There is a series of projects I want to do I need to take the authorization classes though lol

Got the parts blued today.

Finished assembly.

2 Likes

I couldn’t be happier with how this turned out. I make a lot of stuff, but when a tool turns out well, there’s something magical about it!

2 Likes

@whateg01 David, I know this is an old post. I’ve been looking through a bunch of old ones when I can. Just wondering how you cut the dovetail for the indicator to slide into? It almost looks like you used a tiny end mill and indexed the indicator holding stem to two different angles to cut the dovetail. You do really great machine work. The end product turned out very nice.

Yes, I broke my tiny dovetail cutter and wasn’t waiting for the new one. So, I used a 3/32" square endmill at 30 degrees from vertical to cut the flanks.

2 Likes

Did you blue the parts yourself or take them to a shop to do this process? And which process did you use? I’m curious because I’ve been dabbling with some different methods.

2 Likes

Just cold blue. I think it’s Birchwood Casey but I’ve used Brownells too.

1 Like

Thank you sir. I’ve used the Birchwood cold blue. I have also done some oil blackening and been pretty happy with those results too. I’ve got a couple of gun refinishing projects coming up and and researching some of the more complex bluing methods so I was curious what you used.
Nice job on your tool by the way.

Thanks!

2 Likes